New Edition - Raleigh Wayfarer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
Trials and tribulations of buying a box of bits in the first place continued today with some good and bad. Finally managed to get the rear dynohub fitted with the correct nuts,bolts and spacers (I think!) after a long search on internet finally found a picture showing the non drive side for my model, which seems to have different lock nuts and spacers from any other model..... The box of nuts, spacers, locknuts etc that came with it though still has one spacer and 2 nuts left in it which is worrying.

Think I've knackered the back rim a bit to as its only a wheel shaped object at the moment and needs some serious straightening after threading the old hub to a new rim.

Put the headset back together, smooth as a babies bottom, same as the bottom bracket.

Got the new to me bars sorted out. The old ones have been hammered repeatedly by the previous owner trying to shift the bars, when all he had to do was stick a bit of GT85 down the tube and hit it once with a hammer to remove the locking piece :sad: One piece bars and stem or I could have reused it to fit the lovely bars Eck sent me. Bought some cheap rusty bars from fleabay that came up alright which I'll use till I find a stem.

Then went to fit the brakes and levers that Teuchter kindly dug out his shed for me, front one went on fine, unfortunately the rear ones bolt is to short. Luckily these are replaceable so I will have a root round at work for a longer one.

Few bits and pieces left to sort and I'll finally get round to buying some new cables. Hopefully be on the road next weekend, maybe minus a seat!

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1-or-25-4cm-seat-post-bar-post-and-old-saddle.123773/

eck

Über Member
If you still need a saddle, I've a couple lying about in the garage. I'll have a look later today and let you know what there is. No white ones, though.

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
Just waiting for a new sturmey gear cable and to find a longer bolt for back brakes and it should be good to go. I keep looking at it almost ready, with a nice dry day today I could have gone for a little pootle. :cry:

Just found I need some cable clips for the frame. Can source the top tube and bottom tube ones but anyone know if you can buy metal ones for the rear stays for the sturmey cable.

Just found a pic of a really nice 71 bike, seems I am missing the chain guard to :sad:

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
Well its back together in fettling mode. Been out for a quick spin. Only 2 of the gears work atm and not sure of the rear hub. Still got mud guards to go on but I am almost convinced now I like the ride to take it apart again and powdercoat it. I could spend few days using touch up paint but not sure it would look any better.

8604165578_9fb4cb49f2_b.jpg

Top Bottom