1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Endurance bike for £3k ish

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by rob r, 1 Jan 2017.

1. rob r

rob r Member

Hi
    Due to back problems I need a bike with relaxed geometry and comfort for 60-70 mile rides on the hills and in the wet at a decent pace and sportives.
    As I ride in the pennines and in all sorts of weather, I've decided on a disc bike and and found reaching the brakes is a problem with a 105 group set. I have therefore chosen an ultegra.

I have been advised and following research, have narrowed it down to these that are on offer this time of year :-
    Trek domain sl6 disc
    BMC road machine 02 ultegra disc
    Roubaix 2017

It is getting very difficult to be given much time to road test bikes sufficiently anywhere I am finding and one of my local shops actually refused to build up the trek to see if the fit was correct unless I bought it beforehand?!

I would therefore appreciate any advice on your experiences as this will be my last bike purchase, is a lot of money for me and will have to keep me happy for many years
    Cheers for any advice
    Rob

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Evans should enable you to testride all three assuming they stock them :smile: £60 refundable deposit IIRC, then you can testride as long as you want (on a dry day)

Assume you are working with a physio too on the back issue? If not, it's worth spending some of that budget on a physio who works with cyclists and getting him or her to do a proper bike fit once they've diagnosed and worked with your back :smile: they'd be best placed to advise you on bike choice too. This is key for your forever bike

3. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo Parks, Hotels and Palaces, Europe Endless.

Rob I saw Evans had Cannondale Hi Mod Synapses on sale a few weeks back 2016 model but helpful guy in shop said 2017 had lower spec from memory around £2700.
    I had one three years ago and v comfy.

4. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo Parks, Hotels and Palaces, Europe Endless.

Even cheaper...
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Ca...gclid=CLijtfWWotECFY8V0wodmr4DPg&gclsrc=aw.ds

5. rob r

rob r Member

Cheers for that chaps - there are discounts all over the place including a very slightly soiled BMC RM 02 available with £500 saving which sounds about right and in my short size so its a buyers market in Jan!
    I'll ask about the cannondale as well at Evans - prefer to use Harry Halls but they've not been very helpful
    Cheers and happy new year

6. bozmandb9

bozmandb9 Insert witty title here

Lot of money to spend on a bike, so forget carbon, and get a really nice bike! Handmade steel, lovely smooth ride, last you a lifetime, and will never age, just acquire a patina which enhances it!

http://officinabattaglin.com/marosticana-1

Cycleops likes this.
  7. vickster

Or titanium?

8. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

Why do you think that would make a difference?

9. vickster

Better hood shape?

10. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

May or may not affect the reach though - I doubt it.

11. vickster

Makes a big difference to me, hence my choice of SRAM over Shimano. I'm presuming the OP has determined the same :smile:

12. craigwend

craigwend Grimpeur des Holderness

John_S and vickster like this.
  13. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I did LEJOG on a Domane SLR 6 Disc back in September. Loved it. Very comfortable bike.

The Isocore handlebars are fantastic and make a real difference - the old Domane felt slightly unbalanced with all that flex at the rear but none at the front. (I did a 600km audax on the 2015 Domane 4.)

The 32mm tyres are a major benefit too.

The main difference between the SLR and the SL is that the SLR has the adjustable seatpost slider, but frankly I found that a bit of a gimmick - I would be just has happy with the non-adjustable seatpost.

14. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

But he's not talking about Shimano v Sram - he's talking Shimano v Shimano.

15. vickster

The hoods are still a different shape 105 to ultegra :smile: