New Endurance bike for £3k ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob r

Hi
Due to back problems I need a bike with relaxed geometry and comfort for 60-70 mile rides on the hills and in the wet at a decent pace and sportives.
As I ride in the pennines and in all sorts of weather, I've decided on a disc bike and and found reaching the brakes is a problem with a 105 group set. I have therefore chosen an ultegra.

I have been advised and following research, have narrowed it down to these that are on offer this time of year :-
Trek domain sl6 disc
BMC road machine 02 ultegra disc
Roubaix 2017

It is getting very difficult to be given much time to road test bikes sufficiently anywhere I am finding and one of my local shops actually refused to build up the trek to see if the fit was correct unless I bought it beforehand?!

I would therefore appreciate any advice on your experiences as this will be my last bike purchase, is a lot of money for me and will have to keep me happy for many years
Cheers for any advice
Rob

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans should enable you to testride all three assuming they stock them :smile: £60 refundable deposit IIRC, then you can testride as long as you want (on a dry day)

Assume you are working with a physio too on the back issue? If not, it's worth spending some of that budget on a physio who works with cyclists and getting him or her to do a proper bike fit once they've diagnosed and worked with your back :smile: they'd be best placed to advise you on bike choice too. This is key for your forever bike

Hi
Due to back problems I need a bike with relaxed geometry and comfort for 60-70 mile rides on the hills and in the wet at a decent pace and sportives.
As I ride in the pennines and in all sorts of weather, I've decided on a disc bike and and found reaching the brakes is a problem with a 105 group set. I have therefore chosen an ultegra.

I have been advised and following research, have narrowed it down to these that are on offer this time of year :-
Trek domain sl6 disc
Roubaix 2017

It is getting very difficult to be given much time to road test bikes sufficiently anywhere I am finding and one of my local shops actually refused to build up the trek to see if the fit was correct unless I bought it beforehand?!

I would therefore appreciate any advice on your experiences as this will be my last bike purchase, is a lot of money for me and will have to keep me happy for many years
Cheers for any advice
Rob
Rob I saw Evans had Cannondale Hi Mod Synapses on sale a few weeks back 2016 model but helpful guy in shop said 2017 had lower spec from memory around £2700.
I had one three years ago and v comfy.

Hi

Trek domain sl6 disc
Roubaix 2017

Cheers for any advice
Rob
Even cheaper...
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Ca...gclid=CLijtfWWotECFY8V0wodmr4DPg&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
R

rob r

Cheers for that chaps - there are discounts all over the place including a very slightly soiled BMC RM 02 available with £500 saving which sounds about right and in my short size so its a buyers market in Jan!
I'll ask about the cannondale as well at Evans - prefer to use Harry Halls but they've not been very helpful
Cheers and happy new year

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you think that would make a difference?
Better hood shape?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I did LEJOG on a Domane SLR 6 Disc back in September. Loved it. Very comfortable bike.

The Isocore handlebars are fantastic and make a real difference - the old Domane felt slightly unbalanced with all that flex at the rear but none at the front. (I did a 600km audax on the 2015 Domane 4.)

The 32mm tyres are a major benefit too.

The main difference between the SLR and the SL is that the SLR has the adjustable seatpost slider, but frankly I found that a bit of a gimmick - I would be just has happy with the non-adjustable seatpost.

Top Bottom