New enduro bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
It's going to be a flashy bike. 👍

I did a similar build a few years ago with a Scott tuned MTB carbon frame. Back then 36mm fox forks were the beezneez for suspension. Now it's 38/40mm. I have 27.5 all round. It's a lovely bike to ride, super light being carbon and with Durace drive train

Good luck with the project, I'm sure it will be fantastic :okay:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Those bars look lovely, those Hope brakes look fantastic, the wife would definitely kill me though if I bought some for the Mountain bike as well!

Quick question about the grip pad on the dropper post lever, is that something you've bought or made yourself? I'm having trouble with my finger slipping of the trigger lever of my NX shifters and something like this would be perfect.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Those bars look lovely, those Hope brakes look fantastic, the wife would definitely kill me though if I bought some for the Mountain bike as well!

Quick question about the grip pad on the dropper post lever, is that something you've bought or made yourself? I'm having trouble with my finger slipping of the trigger lever of my NX shifters and something like this would be perfect.

Cheers dude, I'm so looking forward to getting it built and ridden now :becool:

The grip pads are specific to the dropper remote lever but you can buy them separately in various colours and they're cheap enough to be worth an experiment...

https://slam69.co.uk/products/crankbrothers-highline-remote-traction-tabs

The adhesive isn't the best so I use a bit of glue as well to help them cling on a little longer :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm told my frameset should be here by the end of the month so hoping to get some movement on this project soon 😄

In the meantime I've just turned 40 and treated myself to a Reverb AXS dropper post... The other one will potentially be useful for another build I'm about to start :blush: I shall start a new thread... :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
This thread has stalled rather as the frameset still hasn't arrived. Latest info suggests mine is next in line to arrive in the UK and will hopefully surface early in the new year. Unfortunately until it appears its apparently nigh on impossible to track so I'll just have to sit tight for now :smile: Nice to have something to look forward to though 😀

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just found out my frameset has arrived at the shop and is due to have the invisiframe kit fitted any day now :smile: I've arranged to drive over and collect it in a few weeks time and will update when it's here and being built up :smile: Exciting times!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
So this happened over the weekend... :smile:

20230305_145029.jpg

20230305_145201.jpg

I drove up with the girlfriend on Saturday morning, left fairly early and called in to see one of her friends near Chester before heading North East to Stif mountain bikes, just north of Harrogate. It was a long drive, arrived just after 5pm so had half an hour or so to chat with them, have a look around and collect the frameset before we loaded the car up and went in search of our overnight digs :smile: The hotel was lovely - The Inn in South Stainley if you're in the area and fancy somewhere nice to kip, a great steak and ale pie and a hearty yorkshire fry up the following morning :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Anyway by the time the brekky had started to digest we were on our way home down the A1, arriving home shortly before 3pm. Plenty of time to start building it up... :okay:

The red Hope seatpost collar went on first so I could fit the Reverb AXS dropper post and hold it in the stand...

20230305_154157.jpg

The shop had done a nice job of fitting the invisiframe kit but I still had the red decals to fit over the top of the orange originals so that was my next challenge. They're pretty much exactly the same size so getting them to fully cover the orange was going to be fun :laugh:

I wiped the areas down with Isopropyl alcohol first to make sure it was all nice and clean then with a steady hand, lots of concentration and just the tip of my tongue sticking out slightly I went to work...

20230305_160501.jpg

20230305_163343.jpg

Happy with that :okay: Next job headset... I'd gone for (probably unsurprisingly) red Hope bits again so treated the surfaces to a light coat of grease then assembled the bearings, shims and seals then slid the forks in to place...

20230305_163219.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bottom bracket next. A nice blob of copper slip on the threads then I wound them in by hand as far as I could - I like doing this as you can almost entirely avoid cross threading unless of course you're the Hulk. Heres the driveside bearing cup screwed in...

20230305_163252.jpg

The non driveside put up slightly more of a fight... The rear triangle is assymetrical to allow space for the chainset whilst maximising width for rigidity. This means it comes closer to the BB cup on the non driveside and I was unable to get my BB spanner in to place...

20230305_163436.jpg

To get around this I decided to remove one of the suspension pivot axles and lift the rear swing arm up slightly to make space...

20230305_164958.jpg

Job's a goodun :okay:
:laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
So this happened over the weekend... :smile:

View attachment 680622

View attachment 680623

I drove up with the girlfriend on Saturday morning, left fairly early and called in to see one of her friends near Chester before heading North East to Stif mountain bikes, just north of Harrogate. It was a long drive, arrived just after 5pm so had half an hour or so to chat with them, have a look around and collect the frameset before we loaded the car up and went in search of our overnight digs :smile: The hotel was lovely - The Inn in South Stainley if you're in the area and fancy somewhere nice to kip, a great steak and ale pie and a hearty yorkshire fry up the following morning :laugh:

First of all as I scrolled down; I thought you’d murdered someone and they were in the boot…

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
With the BB in it was time to fit the cranks and bashguard. The cranks had come with a bag of spacers of varying widths and since I hadn't fitted SRAM DUB cranks before I figured I'd just assemble it with none first and see how it sat, then work out where to put them from there.

So first with just the cranks fitted and no bashguard...

20230305_165812.jpg

There was ~8mm of play in the axle with no spacers so figured I'd pop the bashguard on next...

20230305_173406.jpg

I shifted the cranks along until the ring sat fairly centrally in the chain guide then took it apart and popped spacers in on each side to recreate the same position I'd mocked up, then reassembled and torqued it all up. Perfect first time :okay: Oh ok, I took them off about 8 times and shuffled greasy spacers around until I was happy :laugh:

The mech and brake calipers were next to get bolted on. The rear brake hose was a doddle to fit - the internal routing is fully lined so you literally poke it in one end and it pops out the other :laugh:

20230305_184237.jpg

20230305_191509.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Saddle, pedals and wheels fitted...

20230305_194552.jpg

Next step was to fit the chain. To size it correctly the guide says you have to fully compress the rear suspension first. Since I didn't fancy trying to compress the rear end by 170mm with a 600lb spring fitted I figured the best bet was to whip the shock out.

So I did just that... Actually slightly scary just how much rear travel this thing has got :laugh:

20230305_202859.jpg

This made it super easy to measure the chain length so I got it split down and fitted in no time. With the shock refitted I popped the bike back in the stand and adjusted the mech; these Eagle mechs are super sensitive to sag setup and come with a gauge you use to line it up just right which is pretty nifty.

20230305_212710.jpg

I love the copper chain and cassette, so glad I went with them over the standard black and silver bits!

Top Bottom