New Fasten Wheel Removal System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I like the concept. Execution and the details will be the key.

roley poley

Über Member
clever chap ...same wheel back or front ...joy to watch the video.....I wish him well...glad people are thinking out there...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Clever idea but It means changing over your hubs to this system which will be a non starter for those with existing QR or TA. Doesn’t say if it requires a proprietary drop out which means a dedicated frame.
Most use to the racing fraternity but of little interest to the casual cyclist.
The test will be if it’s adopted by manufacturers.

Trickedem

Guru
A very clever idea. Most cycle kickstarter projects are utter pants, but this could be great, particularly in racing as it could be much quicker to change a wheel.

Thru axles already need a new frame/fork compared to QR spindles. That hasnt hurt their take up. I think this has a lot to offer but is putting the bearings inside the frame dropouts asking too much of frame manufacturing. Not a problem at the premium end but as technology trickles down it meets mass manufacture.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
excellent idea, as pointed out, it needs the major manufacturers to adopt it as a standard, as both frames and wheel hubs need to be changed to suit it.

Gillstay

Über Member
I remember this in 50's or 60's motorbikes. Worked okay then, so a lighter system should be fine as long as not too many safety systems for the modern world.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

It looks like it needs dedicated fork and frame, since there is no “dropout” as such and the bearings are in the frame/fork. Retrofitting to current frames is probably not the intention.
Apparently, this can't be retrofitted to a bike. Bike makers will have to use it on new bikes.

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Clever idea but It means changing over your hubs to this system which will be a non starter for those with existing QR or TA. Doesn’t say if it requires a proprietary drop out which means a dedicated frame.
Most use to the racing fraternity but of little interest to the casual cyclist.
The test will be if it’s adopted by manufacturers.
I believe a regular bike can't be modified to take this. Makers will have to build bikes to suit.

It would be nice for the casual cyclist to have this if only to make it easier to fix a flat. Don't racers have some kind of support vehicle to fix problems or even carry a spare bike?

Personally I don't have a problem removing a rear wheel with disc brake and cassette, but it certainly would be better, maintenance-wise, with the new system. Price would have to be taken into consideration.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
another downside is if you have the front wheel off for transporting in the back of a car etc. your front disc is in a rather vulnerable unprotected position. same goes for disc and cassette if you take rear off, (although less frequently done) and you still have a vulnerable derailleur in that case with current systems.

Top Bottom