New Fixed - Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irontam

Finally finished my replacement fixed about a month ago.

The frame is an old Falcon Team Banana Reynolds 501. I took a grinder to the braze-ons and had it sand-blasted and powder coated by a place up by Jocks Lodge. The wheels are Mavic CXP 22 rims laced onto a Surly flip-flop hub (rear) and a vintage Normandy hub (front). I've just put a cheap set of Michelin City 700x28 tyres on it.

The rest is from the spares box or found during an enjoyable rake through the spares bins in the Edinburgh Bike Station; where I found the seat stem and bars (rattle canned black) and the fancy wing-nuts on the front. It's on 44x17t, which I'm thinking about swapping for a 16t.

Absolutely love it.

Your chain is slack!

Seriously, nice bike, like the bar ends. Not sure I would ride around with only one brake though.

Are we gathering enough fixed riders in Edinburgh to have an outing?

OP
OP
irontam

irontam

irontam said:
...Pulled it tight and doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Correction, it's getting really bad. Need to replace it with a proper old school chain before it snaps and I come a-croppa.

GrahamG

Guru
I think you'll find that it's just the wheel moving in the dropouts - do those nuts up tiiiiight on the back. This is not at all unusual, especially after a re-fin when the wheel nuts find it harder to grip through the fresh paint/powder. Chain stretch just doesn't happen like that with even the cheapest chain, takes hundreds or rather thousands (in the case of a solid 1/8" chain) of miles.

OP
OP
irontam

irontam

GrahamG said:
I think you'll find that it's just the wheel moving in the dropouts - do those nuts up tiiiiight on the back.

Def. not the wheel slipping. You can actually hold two links and 'feel' the play that has developed between them.

Highly disappointed in the chain quality. When I swap it out, seriously considering sending it back with a stern letter. :smile:

Top Bottom