New fixie project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I picked up a 531 Dawes bike from the early / mid 80's a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd 'fixie' it.
It had been partially stripped but most of the bits were in a bag with the bike. Reynolds 531 frame & forks, large flange hubs, nice drilled Stronglight chainset.
I meant to take some 'before' photos but didn't and just started work. I did take a few pics to record the 531 decals so I can replace them.
DSCF9381_zpsi6l7mbqa.jpg

20160918_122054_zpsginh4cbb.jpg

20160918_122027_zps2zlbaakl.jpg

I got a mate to sweat out the rear dropouts, gear cable guides and the light mount on the fork,
DSCF9378_zps43r0mvgl.jpg

and braze in some track dropouts.
DSCF9375_zpsgtohhowd.jpg

Then I stripped the frame and sprayed it with etch primer.
DSCF9373_zpsqkn7pa8l.jpg

Some of the shiny bits are going to the chromer.
DSCF9380_zpsbzswyoax.jpg

The plan at the moment is to retain the center pull brakes and levers, paint the frame dark blue with a cream band using rattle cans then after new decals go over with 2K laquer and fit a nice pair of silver wheels.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
All sounds like a plan keep us posted

Venod

Eh up
Looks promising, I have some deep section large flange silver wheels I will be selling, they are like new no tyres or rim tape, I prefer a shallower rim and small flanges, they are as fitted to a Willier Tony Bevilacqua, I was going to put them on ebay, you can have them for £50 plus postage if your interested, they are very shiny

http://www.wilier.com/en/products/uk/urban-e-bike/toni-bevilacqua

I also have the seat as pictured for sale £10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I have not had any rear brake related problems with my Cooper Sebring, that has track dropouts.

I've had no back brake issues with my flyer with track ends. What I find is that it involves more fiddling with the back brake to keep the blocks lined up with the rim when adjusting the chain on track ends, on drop outs the brake tends to stay lined up with the rim longer and needs less fettling.

simongt

Guru
On the subject of fixies, back in the day, Sturmey Archer did a 3 speed fixed hub gear - the A.C.S ? Why did it not continue - ? Would have thought that apart from the minor weight penalty, it was just the job.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
On the subject of fixies, back in the day, Sturmey Archer did a 3 speed fixed hub gear - the A.C.S ? Why did it not continue - ?

Probably because of the invention of the freewheel making cycling better, safer, and more enjoyable! Call it a hunch! :laugh:

Top Bottom