New fixie project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

simongt

Guru
200 quid - ? Yer 'avin' a larf mate, I could get three new dual sussers from Wilco for that - ! :rofl:

D

Deleted member 1258

200 quid - ? Yer 'avin' a larf mate, I could get three new dual sussers from Wilco for that - ! :rofl:

Yes and thats before you buy rim and spokes for it all to be stitched together, then you want a front wheel.

GGJ

Veteran
The Sturmey Archer 3 speed gear is a wonderful invention, very rarely did they ever go wrong and with the mechanism tucked into the hub the inclement weather never seemed to cause it any problems. I remember the comforting ticking noise that the hub made when pedalling along, a momentarily stop pedalling and change gear and away you went in a different ratio

simongt

Guru
The Sturmey Archer 3 speed gear is a wonderful invention

Indeed. Of my five bikes, I now have SAs on three of them. GT Outpost with a 5 speed - converted when the derailleur drivetrain was past it, a GT Bravado with an 8 speed - recently likewise converted and a Brompton M3 that came with a 3 speed anyway - ! I think my two 'best reasons' for the SA are everything is tucked away safely from grot & bad weather and one can change gear regardless of one's situation; e.g., bombing along in top and having to suddenly stop when the lights change - no problem, just a few clicks and you're in low gear again - ! :wahhey:

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Some paint on the frame & forks.
DSCF9428_zpsjs6xkizx.jpg

DSCF9430_zpspbst1f3n.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF9428_zpsjs6xkizx.jpg
    DSCF9428_zpsjs6xkizx.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF9430_zpspbst1f3n.jpg
    DSCF9430_zpspbst1f3n.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's going to look niiiiiice!

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Well, it's about done except for pedals and a test ride.
DSCF9502_zpsypik7vqa.jpg

DSCF9504_zpsrytdpbds.jpg

Brooks saddle & bar tape, NOS Tourney centre pull calipers and some retro levers.
DSCF9505_zpsl9no2wix.jpg

Wheels and chainset are Holdsworth.
DSCF9508_zpsf11lgdwa.jpg

DSCF9509_zpsd5gentbz.jpg

DSCF9510_zps6fwtzucw.jpg

DSCF9512_zpsgjoshi8l.jpg

DSCF9511_zpsdq1mwgda.jpg

I'll put pedals on and go out for a ride and fettle this weekend weather permitting.

I picked up a 531 Dawes bike from the early / mid 80's a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd 'fixie' it.
It had been partially stripped but most of the bits were in a bag with the bike. Reynolds 531 frame & forks, large flange hubs, nice drilled Stronglight chainset.
I meant to take some 'before' photos but didn't and just started work. I did take a few pics to record the 531 decals so I can replace them.
View attachment 158116
View attachment 158117
View attachment 158118
I got a mate to sweat out the rear dropouts, gear cable guides and the light mount on the fork,
View attachment 158119
and braze in some track dropouts.
View attachment 158120
Then I stripped the frame and sprayed it with etch primer.
View attachment 158121
Some of the shiny bits are going to the chromer.
View attachment 158122
The plan at the moment is to retain the center pull brakes and levers, paint the frame dark blue with a cream band using rattle cans then after new decals go over with 2K laquer and fit a nice pair of silver wheels.
Some of those deep flange Weinmanns from the 80s would look good, like the Raleigh Super Record had. Love that chainset as well :biggrin:

Well, it's about done except for pedals and a test ride.
View attachment 158107
View attachment 158108
Brooks saddle & bar tape, NOS Tourney centre pull calipers and some retro levers.
View attachment 158109
Wheels and chainset are Holdsworth.
View attachment 158110
View attachment 158111
View attachment 158112
View attachment 158113
View attachment 158114
I'll put pedals on and go out for a ride and fettle this weekend weather permitting.
Sorry didn't see the finished article.....lovely! I am checking out EBay tomorrow.

Top Bottom