New Folder.....Hello All

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
i have to say, even on a Brompton, the colour seems to make the most difference to the comments you get.

My current bike (lime green) I've had no random passers-by making comment. But before I made the switch to Brompton, I hired one from a Brompton Dock for a month to ensure I could get on with it before committing to buy.

Not sure about now, but at the time they were all bluey/purple and pink. In that month, I lost track of the amount of times I heard someone shout 'Nice bike' or make a 'oooooooooh' noise as I went past.

Certainly had more comments about that particular bike in a month than I've had in 20+ years' of commuting on anything else.

FaGdV2-hQkllh5gL_WVW8qkc6PY&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Versus:

KFyR-2J4RS8NOiNIDxeU2lMQU_4&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
Nice post, and I'm with you on the leg-over-crossbar thing. Is it considered somehow manly to have to cock your leg in the air and show off your "assets" when it is clearly possible to make a bike these days that can be mounted in a much more gentlrmanly manner?
Agreed: That and the number of times I've scrapped my knee on exposed mudguard stays made me change to a folder.

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
I'm new to folding bikes too - slightly different to you in that I have a new second job that makes most sense to get to on the train, but it's a 2 mile journey to/from the station at each end and the timing of trains arriving at the 'work' end didn't really allow me to walk unless I wanted to get an earlier train and therefore get to work ridiculously early (I did not). I got a Dahon off eBay for very little and I love it - it's the first flat-bar bike I've ridden since my Raleigh Commando which took a bit of getting used to, but it's great around town, and perfect if, for example, I need OH to pick me up from anywhere as it fits in the car so easily (we have 'magic seats' too - why don't all cars?)

I've so embraced the 'functional' aspect over style that I am considering asking for a Carradice cycling poncho for Christmas ...

Enjoy!
Poncho good but I'm not that brave yet....I hope you're enjoying the Dahon.

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
Carradice poncho, really nice but could be a bit heavy.

I'm seriously considering selling my normal bikes (or hiding one or two) and just stick with my folder. Or get a better folder N+1.
This coincidentally follows discussions with Mrs Salar who wants the garage cleared of bikes and bike bits. 🙄
All you need is ONE good folder, donate all other bikes to Boris' ditch.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Try cycling past a secondary school when the kids are arriving or leaving. Certainly around here, a folder is definitely seen as some sort of comedy contraption amongst the young. They will learn, though, when they're old like us!
Oh some of the local kids used to laugh at my Brompton but others did think it cool.

To be fair secondary school kids just laugh at anyone older than about 21.

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
I must admit, the first few months after getting my Brompton, I still would still needlessly swing my leg over the back.

I'm now concerned that next time I try a 'normal' bike, I'll end up in a heap on the floor as I try to step through the frame.
I still do it sometimes before realising there was no need! Also, I had a go on a friend's regular bike yesterday; hands down and back stooping forwards it felt so silly. Yet this was how I had been riding for 20 years!

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
I don't think young people scorn folders now. I see a lot of young people in Newcastle on various types of folder. I think they must be a cool thing to ride. Or perhaps they are just cheap & convenient :smile:
That's good to read. I think a combination of better looking designs make them look less odd. And there are so many different designs of bikes that folders seem to blend in. I notice them more too: a few days ago I saw a young black girl on one and later a young man with a Dahon. Easy storage in smaller rental properties could be a factor, as well as extortionate car ins for the young. Electric will really help make folders popular.

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
Good to hear all this love of folding bikes, but a word of caution. On my last trip to UK recently, had my folder stolen in Reading town centre, locked up in the main high street in a busy area. Cycled into town that day and got the bus to Oxford, and on return no bike. This was a basic B'twin single speed one bought secondhand for 50 quid. It had a combination lock on it, which I now know was a mistake, but crazy when you have to put a 30 quid lock on a 50 quid bike! Will miss it now, was ideal for short hops into town and other small journeys where the MTB seemed like overkill.

Anyways - careful how you go out there........:sad:
Sorry about your theft. I too use a basic cable combination lock when in town but I will leave a D-lock tied to the bike stand now to save hauling it about. Hope you don't give up on folders.

Sorry about your theft. I too use a basic cable combination lock when in town but I will leave a D-lock tied to the bike stand now to save hauling it about. Hope you don't give up on folders.
....during my last few days there I did manage to find a D-lock for under a tenner at a well known sports clothing store, branded as a muddy fox. I'm not kidding myself it's as good as the more expensive ones, but hopefully more of a deterrent than a combi-lock. I have a folder over this way I use when traveling in the car, and a Raleigh Twenty non folder for for jaunts near my house. I'll be back in UK in the spring, and I have another R20 (non folder) back there I need to modernise, then use for short journeys. I'll also cobble together a real old clunker from junk bits I've got back there, and that'll be my bike for locking in the town centre.
As they say, 'don't let the b******s grind you down' :okay:

Drzdave58

Über Member
I just recently discovered folding bikes as well...I got this 2009 Dahon curve that was like brand new...I love the way it rides!...I’m selling most of my large wheel bikes now and am looking for a 20 inch folder next..the other day I stopped at a school crossing and all these little kids stopped to look at my bike...they loved it!....I was amazed!..lol

OP
OP
Quadratica

Quadratica

Regular
You must be a cool dude if the lads approved. Seriously though, FB are such a convenience and I am happy to read of another convert.

Top Bottom