New Folder.....Hello All

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quadratica

Regular
Just thought I'd say hello and share my (long) bike tale. After 20 years of riding hybrid bikes (Dawes) I finally got fed up of lugging a regular bike around. Difficult garden access, annoyance of putting it on my car tow-ball rack and a failing desire to 'get my leg over' the cross bar meant I tied the bike to a tree in my garden and started walking to work ( 3km) and anywhere else under 6km

Then in June 2019 I saw a fellow on a lovely little bike and I went on Google (as one does) to find out what this was. I learnt that it was a Tern (never heard of them or Dahon or Brompton). I was intrigued to say the least. After a few weeks research I decided to spend about £300 on a used folder. I wanted 20" wheels and a compact fold was inessential as it would fit in my car which has magic rear seats which lift up and on the rare occasion it would fit folded into the boot.

I trawled e-bay and found a bike based on a mid-range Tern (identical spec except name). It was from a local-ish bike shop and as an ex-display model I paid £233 (RRP £499), inc a 13-month warranty. It was spotless and basically brand-new, I felt I got a bargain.
It fitted unfolded in my car with ease, it was so easy to manoeuvre, lift, turn, invert (crucial for me). Luckily, it was a dry day so back home I took it for a spin in my park and it was a revelation! I ride at a gentle pace and the bike felt as steady and grounded as my Dawes hybrid. I am 5'10" and 70kg so it was a perfect fit, what a relief not to stoop down to the handlebar; I enjoyed the upright position, the quick uptake of speed, easy turning and sharp brakes. On this first ride two people quizzed me about it and made agreeable comments.

Back home I got to grips with the folding/unfolding and all the various adjustments and I made a custom strap to hold it in place when folded. Over the next few weeks I treated the bike to a new set of lights, a £17 GPS speedo (yes! works great!) all I need now are Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (which I have used on my Dawes since 2009 without a puncture) but they are so expensive and I have yet to have a puncture with the Kendas on this bike.

Two weeks later I sold the Dawes I bought new in 2009 and was a little sad to see it go. I still walk to work (great exercise) but everywhere else under 10km I use my superb folding bike. I think my bike journey to this folding point is about right, I am past the age where I worry about status and appearances and as a younger man I would have scorned a folder. A few days ago in my park a lady approached me and enquired about it, she was of a similar age and belonged to a cycling club (road bike lycra type), she was very impressed after a trial and said that road bikes and all that palaver was getting too much for her and she wanted an easy bike to enjoy cycling again....I suggested that if she needed to transport/fold often then a Brompton is best if she can afford it.

I wish it would STOP RAINING as I am itching to go for a ride!

Thanks for reading.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

shingwell

Nice post, and I'm with you on the leg-over-crossbar thing. Is it considered somehow manly to have to cock your leg in the air and show off your "assets" when it is clearly possible to make a bike these days that can be mounted in a much more gentlrmanly manner?

Kell

Veteran
I must admit, the first few months after getting my Brompton, I still would still needlessly swing my leg over the back.

I'm now concerned that next time I try a 'normal' bike, I'll end up in a heap on the floor as I try to step through the frame.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm new to folding bikes too - slightly different to you in that I have a new second job that makes most sense to get to on the train, but it's a 2 mile journey to/from the station at each end and the timing of trains arriving at the 'work' end didn't really allow me to walk unless I wanted to get an earlier train and therefore get to work ridiculously early (I did not). I got a Dahon off eBay for very little and I love it - it's the first flat-bar bike I've ridden since my Raleigh Commando which took a bit of getting used to, but it's great around town, and perfect if, for example, I need OH to pick me up from anywhere as it fits in the car so easily (we have 'magic seats' too - why don't all cars?)

I've so embraced the 'functional' aspect over style that I am considering asking for a Carradice cycling poncho for Christmas ...

Enjoy!

Salar

A fish out of water
I'm new to folding bikes too - slightly different to you in that I have a new second job that makes most sense to get to on the train, but it's a 2 mile journey to/from the station at each end and the timing of trains arriving at the 'work' end didn't really allow me to walk unless I wanted to get an earlier train and therefore get to work ridiculously early (I did not). I got a Dahon off eBay for very little and I love it - it's the first flat-bar bike I've ridden since my Raleigh Commando which took a bit of getting used to, but it's great around town, and perfect if, for example, I need OH to pick me up from anywhere as it fits in the car so easily (we have 'magic seats' too - why don't all cars?)

I've so embraced the 'functional' aspect over style that I am considering asking for a Carradice cycling poncho for Christmas ...

Enjoy!

Carradice poncho, really nice but could be a bit heavy.

I'm seriously considering selling my normal bikes (or hiding one or two) and just stick with my folder. Or get a better folder N+1.
This coincidentally follows discussions with Mrs Salar who wants the garage cleared of bikes and bike bits. 🙄

robgul

Legendary Member
I must admit, the first few months after getting my Brompton, I still would still needlessly swing my leg over the back.

I'm now concerned that next time I try a 'normal' bike, I'll end up in a heap on the floor as I try to step through the frame.
Yep - me too - the other thing that I have now mastered is to remember that when standing astride the bike there is no cross-bar (toptube in modern parlance) that sits between your thighs and stops the bike falling sideways :laugh:

Rob

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I don't think young people scorn folders now. I see a lot of young people in Newcastle on various types of folder. I think they must be a cool thing to ride. Or perhaps they are just cheap & convenient :smile:

Good to hear all this love of folding bikes, but a word of caution. On my last trip to UK recently, had my folder stolen in Reading town centre, locked up in the main high street in a busy area. Cycled into town that day and got the bus to Oxford, and on return no bike. This was a basic B'twin single speed one bought secondhand for 50 quid. It had a combination lock on it, which I now know was a mistake, but crazy when you have to put a 30 quid lock on a 50 quid bike! Will miss it now, was ideal for short hops into town and other small journeys where the MTB seemed like overkill.

Anyways - careful how you go out there........:sad:

Salar

A fish out of water
Yes, I like my folder. Just the job for riding the local coastal path, not too many hills.

Mines a Dawes Jack, I think @robgul had one some time ago.

Not top of the range, but does the job, I've modded it slightly, lowered the gearing , changed shifters to gripshift and have plans for some chunkier tyres.

I'm 6-0" and 18stone+ and it takes my weight without any creaks.

KneesUp

Guru
Yes, I like my folder. Just the job for riding the local coastal path, not too many hills.

Mines a Dawes Jack, I think @robgul had one some time ago.

Not top of the range, but does the job, I've modded it slightly, lowered the gearing , changed shifters to gripshift and have plans for some chunkier tyres.

I'm 6-0" and 18stone+ and it takes my weight without any creaks.
I lowered the gearing on mine too - a combination of a hilly local area and my slightly dodgy knees meant that the 53T front ring was slightly too much for me at times when I had a full commuting load on (laptop, folder of paper, change of clothes & shoes) I've got a 42T front ring now and it's much more pleasant, albeit top gear is now a little short; there is only so much range you can get out of a seven speed freewheel and a short derailleur after all.

KneesUp

Guru
I don't think young people scorn folders now. I see a lot of young people in Newcastle on various types of folder. I think they must be a cool thing to ride. Or perhaps they are just cheap & convenient :smile:
Try cycling past a secondary school when the kids are arriving or leaving. Certainly around here, a folder is definitely seen as some sort of comedy contraption amongst the young. They will learn, though, when they're old like us!

Top Bottom