Replacing my folder(s) thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
ref the crappie little wheels and that shite one on the rear mudgard. Why dear god why?
Surely it's a no brainer to can the goddam things and put something respectable on.
OK I'm done , I could go on, but it's feckin boring.
If our German chum dares to elucidate on the beastly little things I will give him a sound thrashing with a giant bratwurst.
He is correct on most things but not this.

berlinonaut

Veteran
ref the crappie little wheels and that shite one on the rear mudgard. Why dear god why?
Surely it's a no brainer to can the goddam things and put something respectable on.
Interestingly nobody managed to come up with a satisfying solution for this little wheel. In fact on Bromptons with the "advanced rear frame" the wheel isn't a wheel any more, it just looks like one but it fixed. Brompton moved the lower stop disc mechanism and now you are supposed to roll your bike like this:

Bildschirm­foto 2023-09-06 um 16.18.17.png

They also renamed the optional rear carrier on these bikes to "roller rack".

OK I'm done , I could go on, but it's feckin boring.
If our German chum dares to elucidate on the beastly little things I will give him a sound thrashing with a giant bratwurst.
He is correct on most things but not this.

Well, the thing is, being a German I have to be always right. I have to fulfill my desteny. British are polite, French are romantic, Italians have good food, Germans are always right. Even if they are not. We rather start a war before admitting to be wrong - there have been examples in the past. :whistle: Threatening me with a Bratwurst clearly is against the rules - something that makes us Germans even more furious. So better don't do that, else it may end catastrophically for all of us! :stop:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Interestingly nobody managed to come up with a satisfying solution for this little wheel. In fact on Bromptons with the "advanced rear frame" the wheel isn't a wheel any more, it just looks like one but it fixed. Brompton moved the lower stop disc mechanism and now you are supposed to roll your bike like this:

View attachment 705469

They also renamed the optional rear carrier on these bikes to "roller rack".

Well, the thing is, being a German I have to be always right. I have to fulfill my desteny. British are polite, French are romantic, Italians have good food, Germans are always right. Even if they are not. We rather start a war before admitting to be wrong - there have been examples in the past. :whistle: Threatening me with a Bratwurst clearly is against the rules - something that makes us Germans even more furious. So better don't do that, else it may end catastrophically for all of us! :stop:

For all this time I have been under the impression that you were someone from the UK who worked in Berlin 🤔
My daughter worked in Berlin for a while, I visited a few times, ran the half marathon and even started to learn the language as I thought it would be her permanent home.

berlinonaut

Veteran
For all this time I have been under the impression that you were someone from the UK who worked in Berlin 🤔
Wow, that's quite a compliment in terms of my English!! But no: Native German, born and raised in Germany, have never been to the UK longer than a couple of days.
My daughter worked in Berlin for a while, I visited a few times, ran the half marathon and even started to learn the language as I thought it would be her permanent home.
I hope you were there in summer - then it's as nice as it is depressing in winter. :smile:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Wow, that's quite a compliment in terms of my English!! But no: Native German, born and raised in Germany, have never been to the UK longer than a couple of days.

I hope you were there in summer - then it's as nice as it is depressing in winter. :smile:

Yes, daughter warned me that it gets a tad chilly in winter 😁. Second visit I stayed for a month, daughter was working as a teacher so I enrolled in a language school for a couple of weeks. I turned up at the language school, got my ID card issued and was sent to a classroom in another building. Eventually found the correct room and when I walked in the other students all stood up. Being nearly 70 they mistook me for the teacher 😎

tinywheels

Über Member
I have been to Germany many times, wonderful people.
perhaps berlinonaut is an Austrian.
Of course we would have to check his beer drinking abilities to draw a proper conclusion.
If he posts a picture of himself in lederhosen plus beer on his brompton we will believe it.
He would also achieve legendary status from his peers.
over to you sir!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have been to Germany many times, wonderful people.
perhaps berlinonaut is an Austrian.
Of course we would have to check his beer drinking abilities to draw a proper conclusion.
If he posts a picture of himself in lederhosen plus beer on his brompton we will believe it.
He would also achieve legendary status from his peers.
over to you sir!

Add to that a Trilby style hat with a jaunty feather in the brim...

tinywheels

Über Member
Add to that a Trilby style hat with a jaunty feather in the brim...

it's gone quiet, perhaps he's in his cellar trying to fit into his lederhosen.
Hang on, we haven't thought this through. What if he goes full postal and puts up a picture of himself in a dirndl?
Nnnnnooooooooo

abcd efg

Über Member
I do have a Joey and like it. The OP does not want to commute. But given his criteria:

- not a British brand
- hub dynamo
- disc brakes
the Joey hits one (disc brakes) and misses two (it is a British brand and a having to remove the front wheel for folding is even more annoying with a hub dynamo).

Actually, it takes 30 seconds or so to remove the front wheel and then reattach it to the folded bike. That then allows the bike to be easily wheeled walking to a train or whatever.

Top Bottom