Replacing my folder(s) thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I complain about the grips.
Oh, did you buy a Brompton in the meantime? If not: Why do you complain about something that doesn't affect you? And, more important: Why would that complaint be relevant for Brompton or anyone else?
Considering no one complains about grips there are an awful lot of people selling grips, and an awful lot of Brompies with aftermarket grips.
Sure, all companies selling grips for bike handlebars only exist because Brompton puts grips on their bikes that you dislike, despite you don't ride a Brompton. They are so thankful - w/o Brompton they wouldn't even exist.
That a premium product (or at least a premium priced one) comes supplied with budget bits bolted to it is a very good reason to moan. Or, alternatively, a very good reason to buy something far better equipped for less.
You didn't buy a Brompton in the first place because you are too heavy for the spec, if I remember correctly. So you have been ruled out as a customer anyway, no matter what grips they supply.
If you have nothing better to do than to moan heavily and constant about something that has absolutely no influence on your life and probably never will you seem to have way too much time or very strange hobbies. You've already spent way more time on moaning than it would have taken to earn the money for the most expensive grips, so your priorities seem even more irrational.
Fall for it by all means if that's your taste, but falling for it and justifying it with clichés just makes willful schmucks out of buyers.

Haters are gonna hate - can't change that. If you prefer to spent your life cantankerous and constantly moaning about things that have absolutely no relevance and don't even affect you instead of being happy or constructive that's your personal choice. Mine is different.

OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

I never considered the grips as bad. But grip, pedals and saddle are cheap and easy to replace. Of course they are 3 of about 6 standard parts on the Brompton. I run stock foam grips on 3 out of my 4 Bromptons no problems, but I have bar ends added to all but the '09 as it's handlebar is shorter and a bar end would interfere with the fold. Yes, rhe German is correct, Brompton does make incremental improvements and the newer ones are usually better .

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Other folders I considered.

Oribikes - guy on my train has one. Nice looking. And available in Carbon. Fold not as good, but better gearing. Better looking.

Airnimal Joey - I seriously considered one of these. But as the wheel has to be removed for folding, it's not suitable for commuting IMO. Looks good. Likely to be comfortable and fast rolling with 24" wheels. Expensive in the past, but seems to have held at the same price for years, so now comparable to a Brompton.

Haven't kept up with what's going on with folders lately- the Oribikes C8 looks like a Mezzo.

tinywheels

Über Member
how about those crapp little wheels they fit as std? They could at least offer the better

1693894188107822473694180636324.jpg

16938943948586245916914705919993.jpg
ones as an upgrade. Yes I use the bike most days
I rest my case

Tenkaykev

Guru
how about those crapp little wheels they fit as std? They could at least offer the better

View attachment 705323

View attachment 705324 ones as an upgrade. Yes I use the bike most days
I rest my case

I thought the " crap little wheels " were a sacrificial item, purposely designed to break if the bike is dropped when folded?

Top Bottom