New Foresters don't like cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
It wasn't just aimed at cyclists.
Mr Roberts said: “It’s the sheer number of people that’s the problem – and it would be the same if it were horse riding, walking or orienteering. It’s too much for the area to absorb.”

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
One of the great things the recent cycling events have done for the NF is show people that may otherwise not have visited how great it is. It's also shown them routes that they may come back and do with friends or families.

Any organised event be it cycling , walking, vintage car rally's or road racing will bring with it selfish people who ruin it for everyone else and a voluntary code will not change that.

Getting rid of timing chips and lists of who did it in what time would help as we all use GPS of some sort or heavens forbid a watch. This would reduce the competitive streak and some of the disgraceful behaviour of some cyclists as they may see it as a lesser challenge.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
That's a follow up story to this one from yesterday. Its strange that they don't seem to mention how the roads get clogged up when the New Forest shows are on or the car rallies at Beaulieu or when the thousands of flipping' caravans that I have to contend with for 6 months of the year descend on the area!!

They also seem to have forgotten that a large number of people on the sportives actually live in or around the Forest & pay our council tax to New Forest DC & Hampshire CC & can vote them in or out.

And don't even get me started on who it is who's killing & injuring the wildlife on an almost daily basis!!

Rant over! :cursing:

Berties

Fast and careful!
there are two sides of the coin here ,some riders do their best to generally p i ss locals off ,rubbish ,speed,no respect for the animals etc but as i know the income that comes from these events is not to be sneered at,especially mid autumn,the forest relays on tourism year round for a future,
how long does it take for a event to pass through ,a hour may be.... i love to ride the nf and the audex routes are great
just a load of local do gooders being snobby ,i love it when events come past my house,we get off roaders,mountain bikers ,marathon runners,and charity walks,

Mattonsea

Über Member
We all know the problems connected to the events, but I think the bods at the National Park are using the events to push there agenda
of a change of use for the forest. With the moving of the camp sights and the bitter feud between NP and commoners, the cyclists are being used to
make this change. I wont be cycling in sportive's in the forest, as a commoner and a cycling nut its all to close. The NP is tax payer funded, so we are all welcome to use it. The number of animals this year that have been killed on the roads is at 70 at the moment , the highest ever . I suggest go out with your friends or like me on my lonesome and enjoy the beauty of this amazing, beautiful place we love.

Ban the cars at the weekend , everyone rides horses, bikes or hikes !!!!!!!!

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
To quote the paper..

...It follows remarks made by the chairman and former leader of Hampshire County Council, Cllr Ken Thornber, that the authority would seek to regulate cycling events unless the organisers of rides drew up a voluntary code of conduct for riders.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no legal powers by which a local authority could restrict cycle events unless using their premises. So I am inclined to think that Ken Thornber's comments are baseless and possibly ultra vires.

Last edited:

Mattonsea

Über Member
To quote the paper..

...It follows remarks made by the chairman and former leader of Hampshire County Council, Cllr Ken Thornber, that the authority would seek to regulate cycling events unless the organisers of rides drew up a voluntary code of conduct for riders.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no legal powers by which a local authority could restrict cycle events unless using their premises. So I am inclined to think that Ken Thornber's comments are baseless and possibly ultra vires.
He lives in Sway and had his road blocked off to stop through traffic ,unlawfully . Bit of an arse.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They don't like change... they don't want change, the New Forest is tranquil and verdant and it should be kept that way. Maybe one day they'll get what they want and free the glorious expanse of woodlands from these parasites, and not long after that, they'll wonder where the passing trade went, why the tea shops and cafes are closing... things aren't like the used to be.

DRHysted

Guru
The Echo must have a very anti-cyclist reporter, this is now four anti stories in three days.
ps. You're welcome to come to the New Forest, without tourists it will go bust. The properties with commoners rights have become so expensive locals can't afford them, so there has been an influx of "moneyied" commoners.

Top Bottom