New forum software: Video demo

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Maybe a silly question but where does privacy stand when somebody shares a thread in, say facebook, without the knowledge of other thread participant?

The threads and posts are already public. :smile:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Sharing of threads has always been possible. Anyone can copy and paste the URL for a thread and share it wherever they like, and Google quite happily presents over a quarter of a million CycleChat page links.

The new share links only facilitate what has always been possible.

Personally I wouldn't expect the thread and post share links to be used particularly widely - the main ones I would expect people to use would be the ones on the homepage, to recommend the site itself.

If it becomes and issue they can be turned off.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
Looks good. I like the way in which the new software is building in lots of now common social networking features.

Also liked the video. I actually learnt some things about new the current software which I'd been unaware of - like how to go straight to the final post in a thread :blush:.

Maybe you could turn it into a training video when the new site is launched.

How many days do you expect the upgrade to take this time? ;)

Manonabike

Über Member
Actually, I expect people to use that rather a lot. That's is how things are going these days. There are so many places that you can sign in with your facebook credentials and slowly but surely you are been tracked down everything you do.

There are a number of sites that allowed you to leave a comment on an article and all you need is your facebook login name and password. That is how it is becoming possible to build a complete picture of who you are, what you like, what you don't like, what your political views are, what you look like, who your family and friends are, etc. By allowing your posts to be shared with facebook I'm sure facebook would see that as given them the authority to use the underlying information (email addresss, names, etc) held within CC to add to whatever information they hold on you.

When one thinks that a few years back some people were so against identity cards because they didn't want to give away private information, etc. ..... that is nothing compared to the amount of information places like facebook are collecting on us all.

I just wish there was an option to delete my CC account and all my 600 something posts - I really don't like where this is going.

Cake & rubber duckies, what more could we need?

All looks very promising, I particularly like the idea of not having to be pixel perfect to see the latest post.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
There are a number of sites that allowed you to leave a comment on an article and all you need is your facebook login name and password. That is how it is becoming possible to build a complete picture of who you are, what you like, what you don't like, what your political views are, what you look like, who your family and friends are, etc. By allowing your posts to be shared with facebook I'm sure facebook would see that as given them the authority to use the underlying information (email addresss, names, etc) held within CC to add to whatever information they hold on you.

When one thinks that a few years back some people were so against identity cards because they didn't want to give away private information, etc. ..... that is nothing compared to the amount of information places like facebook are collecting on us all.

I just wish there was an option to delete my CC account and all my 600 something posts - I really don't like where this is going.

I think you've mistaken what the share feature is about.

There is no integration between CycleChat and any of the share sites. I will NOT be enabling the Facebook account integration feature of the new software for this very reason. The same with the Twitter account integration. They will be completely separate entities.

NO CYCLECHAT ACCOUNT INFORMATION WILL BE SHARED. :biggrin:

I don't want CC to be a part of the Facebook Borg ... :smile: ... and none of your CycleChat account information is shared anywhere - period. And it will always be that way because I value my privacy and those of the community.

The share links allow someone to use their Facebook page to link back to CC - that is all. They can already do this by copying and pasting the page URL - the button simply facilitates that copying.

Even if I disable the share icons people will still share things from CycleChat on Facebook that they want to share.

BUT - there is no direct link to anyone's private CycleChat account information.

I would recommend giving the new site a try before writing CC off as going to the dogs. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You don't sound anything like I imagined !

Ditto. Shaun sounds very reassuring, like a nice uncle. Great video BTW. You really are going above and beyond here with the help you're offering to members.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'm more positive about this move, and have changed my mind about what I think CC should be.

The IPB software was an attempt to "expand" CC and make it a "do all" site - but I've learned that really, what people want most, is a simple quick and easy-to-use chat forum where they can shoot the breeze with friends.

Hopefully the new software will offer a return to that, albeit with a more modern and slick interface. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

PS. I might have had to adjust my world domination plans a bit, but they're still on the table ...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
As per previous announcements it won't be immediately available but should make a return in the New Year when everything is settled back down. :smile:

Manonabike

Über Member
I think you've mistaken what the share feature is about.

There is no integration between CycleChat and any of the share sites. I will NOT be enabling the Facebook account integration feature of the new software for this very reason. The same with the Twitter account integration. They will be completely separate entities.

NO CYCLECHAT ACCOUNT INFORMATION WILL BE SHARED. :biggrin:

I don't want CC to be a part of the Facebook Borg ... :smile: ... and none of your CycleChat account information is shared anywhere - period. And it will always be that way because I value my privacy and those of the community.

The share links allow someone to use their Facebook page to link back to CC - that is all. They can already do this by copying and pasting the page URL - the button simply facilitates that copying.

Even if I disable the share icons people will still share things from CycleChat on Facebook that they want to share.

BUT - there is no direct link to anyone's private CycleChat account information.

I would recommend giving the new site a try before writing CC off as going to the dogs. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Just out of curiosity...... I don't seem to find an option to delete a CC account but I'm sure there is one...... even facebook has one :biggrin:

Top Bottom