New Freehub & cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all, the rear cassette on my MTB is spinning freely when I turn the pedals. Is this the case of a new freehub/cassette. For some reason I can't upload a video. Thanks.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did you forget to include something?

lazybloke

Considering a new username

I couldn't see half your post earlier, it makes sense now.

As @figbat said, sounds like pawls are the issue. Personally I find those things are fit, forget, replac, as a whole unit. No maintenance!

I did (as a kid) look inside a freewheel; the pawl-springs acquired escape velocity and a million miniscule ball bearings fell out and rolled under the fridge. It all went in the bin.

boydj

Legendary Member
Take the wheel out, take the cassette off, lay it in its side and dribble GT85 or similar into both side of the hub then spin it around for a while. That may soften the grease enough to get the freewheel working again.

This trick also helps to get rid of the banshee scream from old Mavic hubs.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Take the wheel out, take the cassette off, lay it in its side and dribble GT85 or similar into both side of the hub then spin it around for a while. That may soften the grease enough to get the freewheel working again.

There has been a slight rocking sound lately when the wheel is turning in top gear up on the work stand.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There has been a slight rocking sound lately when the wheel is turning in top gear up on the work stand.

If everything is dry with the freehub, it could be that the wheel bearings need a bit of attention too.
Is there any ''rocking'' movement, or it just sounds like it.
Either way, check, regrease and adjust the wheel bearings. It's a fairly easy job if you have a cone spanner and some basic tools.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

If everything is dry with the freehub, it could be that the wheel bearings need a bit of attention too.
Is there any ''rocking'' movement, or it just sounds like it.
Either way, check, regrease and adjust the wheel bearings. It's a fairly easy job if you have a cone spanner and some basic tools.

No movement as far as I know, just a rocking/knocking noise when the wheel is in full spin. The bearings have recently been greased. I'll get it up on the stand tomorrow and inspect it. I am not familiar with freehub/cassette type sprockets, having always had freewheels.

GuyBoden

Guru

I would still do the oil trick above too.:okay:

Top Bottom