new front light (dealextreme) other members bought new lights recently ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
brokenbetty said:
I just got one of these....http://www.magtenlight.com/

Only rode in one day since I fitted it so not much to say yet, but I'm planning on posting a review once it's done a month or so.

I'd really like to compare this to a hub dynamo setup, so if anyone out there has a hub dynamo light, commutes down the A10 to the City and is up for a quick compare some evening give me a shout.

That looks brilliant, I am a big fan of simple magnetic solutions.

• How bright is the light?
  • Is it fiddly?
  • Would it fit on a Brompton (16" wheels)?
  • How much did it cost you in total, and how long did it take to ship?

StuartG

slower but further
If you just want simple flashers on a Brompton - think about the Reelight SL120 - see here: http://reelight.com/default.aspx?id=48 (a lot cheaper if you shop around online). Doesn't effect folding and always on. No batteries or dynamos to worry about.

I got the same one as cycling fisherman back at the start of October. I'm sure there are better lights but it's better than anything I've seen yet and I couldn't help but like the price.

PS - I know a few people have had a problem with the light flickering. Try tightening the tail cap. There are two wee holes in it - stick some needlenose pliers in those and twist. Worked for me and a few others.

brokenbetty

Über Member
chap said:
That looks brilliant, I am a big fan of simple magnetic solutions.

• How bright is the light?
  • Is it fiddly?
  • Would it fit on a Brompton (16" wheels)?
  • How much did it cost you in total, and how long did it take to ship?

I haven't put the rear light on. The front is slightly brighter than the USB rechargeable I was using before. It's not a halogen floodlight or anything but it is a fairly bright single LED light (website used to say Cree Q4 but it can't see that now). Bright enough to hurt if you look straight at it but I'm not sure how wide the beam spreads. Sorry that's not much help, it's actually hard to tell how bright it is when I'm behind it pedalling! (Does have a standing light but that's not as bright). Will enlist a friend for the review.

In case it's not clear, this is a steady light not a flasher like the Reelight.

It can't be that fiddly to fit since we fitted it after a few glasses of wine :biggrin: Certainly less fiddly than rebuilding a wheel for a hub dynamo. We did have to bend the bracket a bit to get the dynamo in position though. The dynamo itself is quite heavy. I think it's fouling slightly so maybe more fiddling required.

Don't get your fingers trapped between the magnets...

It definitely feels like a v1.0 - things like the clips that hold the magnet wheel together stick out so if you get the dynamo too close they scrape the plastic coating, and the screws supplied popped through the fitting holes so we had to find some washers. Also, as far as I can see no off switch. The connectors look fragile - the wires are trapped in sprung holes in the terminals - though that may be intentional so the wire pulls out easily if it gets caught - and the light is attached to its mounting so you can't remove it from the bike when parked up. That sort of thing I'd assume would be ironed out in the first redesign if the basic product is successful.

My main concern is whether the plastic parts are too fragile, hence waiting a while before posting a review. The cynic in me wonders if the reason I got a "free" second light is because something will break on the first one...

The magnet ring should fit a 16" wheel (it's about 8" diameter) but don't know if the dynamo would foul on something. A friend at work has a Brompton, I'll ask him to take a look at the light. The magnets are strong though, you might find you can't unfold it again :smile:

It cost £65 in total for a front and back light set, but he did send me another set the same as a free gift :smile: It took about 1.5 weeks to arrive, much quicker than I expected.

I thought I could feel a bit more drag with the magtenlight fitted, but that may have been those glasses of wine...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There is some drag - the energy to light the light has to come from somewhere.
It is in principle a low power clip on hub dynamo. I'd wonder about the life of the dynamo bit on the fork - "spins at 1500 rpm" it says, which means bearings to fail.

commutator

Hi there. I've registered to comment because I noticed that rusky bought this charger: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105. I too bought this (along with the same torch and batteries as cycling fisherman) and, concerned with what I found, tried to post a review on the site, which has not appeared. I also tried to start a forum thread on the site about it, which has also not appeared. Obviously censorship at DealExtreme is a way of life. These are my objections to the charger (sorry - a bit technical):

-- it has no filtering components on the input whatsoever, resulting in a lot of radio-frequency interference (easily noticeable on nearby FM radios). (I fitted a small capacitor from another supply - hardly adequate but better than nothing I suppose.)

-- it has no voltage dependent resistor on the input, making it very vulnerable to being destroyed by voltage spikes. (I fitted one from another supply.)

-- the inner cores of the mains lead touch the battery contacts, making it single-insulated rather than double-insulated

-- there is not that much clearance between mains and low voltage traces on the PCB, no slots to isolate them, and no lacquer to prevent tracking - best not to use this in the garage or shed.

-- the mains lead claims to have 2 x 0.75mm2 cores which is a lie - I've never seen so little copper in a mains lead. With this sort of dishonest marking I bet the approval marks on the base are fraudulent as well.

-- there is no cutoff at full charge: the lights merely respond to current sensing, i.e. they go green when the charging current falls below a certain amount. I don't think trickle-charging LiIon cells is a good idea, so best disconnect as soon as the lights go green.

-- It can't cope with two fully-discharged cells, going into overload with the lights continually flashing as it tries again.

This is the first mains appliance I have bought from DealExtreme and I am debating whether it should be the last.

commutator

Well you can use them immediately but it's advised to charge them first until the lights on the charger go green (given the same dodgy charger I've bought). Took a couple of hours I think - depends on the state of the batteries and which charger you are using.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have two of these on the handlebar and a Fenix P3D on the helmet.

Althought they say it is 900 lumen I think they are about 450 - 550. The Fenix are quite accurately rated and my is rated at 215 lumens. The MTE torches put out a bit more than twice the light than a P3D does. In my opinion they are worth every penny.

I get nearly one hour on high and I carry with me a couple of spare batteries which is enough for my needs... it just take a minute to change the batteries ;)

I love riding at night now, I don't have to but I do it now cos is so much fun :blush:

Top Bottom