New Garmin Edge 1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I've just purchased a Garmin Edge 1000 premium bundle which comes with speed, cadence and heart monitor sensors. I'm new to cycling SatNavs so this is a complete learning curve for me.

So far everything is going well and I've logged a few rides. Today I actually planed my first Course on Garmin Connect, uploaded it to my Edge 1000 and then rode the course with Turn-by-Turn instructions.

I've configured Garmin Connect to automatically upload my logged rides to Strava, so within a few minutes of finishing a ride it ends up logged both on Garmin Connect and Strava. The only thing I don't like is that the title of the ride on Strava contains a date in US format. Not sure if that's a Garmin or a Strava bug.

The Turn-by-Turn instructions seem to consist of an arrow pointing the way at every junction along with the name of the next road to take. I belive there's also supposed to be an alert just before every junction but I didn't hear anything. I'm a bit deaf so possibly the alerts are being sounded quietly and I just didn't hear them. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any volume setting.

I've not yet used the heart monitor as it's worn around the chest and I just want to confirm with my cardiologist that it's not going to interfere with my pacemaker. Not sure if there are any wrist worn monitors which are compatible with the Edge 1000.

All's looking good so far :-)

Tomtrumps

I've just bought one too and have been very happy, albeit found the navigation a little tricky to get used to first time round but easier once I got used to it. Didn't go for the gizmos but may get a cadence sensor. Not sure I dare see how fast my heart is beating!

The alert is just a beeb which on a windy day is not so easy to hear for anyone with decent hearing! And I find it annoying so turn it off (and I guess other cyclists would find it annoying too!)

Coincidently, I also planned my first course today, although I ended up doing it in Strava, transferring the gpx file to the Garmin. Very easy!

Reactions: JtB

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
I've just purchased a Garmin Edge 1000 premium bundle which comes with speed, cadence and heart monitor sensors. I'm new to cycling SatNavs so this is a complete learning curve for me.

So far everything is going well and I've logged a few rides. Today I actually planed my first Course on Garmin Connect, uploaded it to my Edge 1000 and then rode the course with Turn-by-Turn instructions.

I've configured Garmin Connect to automatically upload my logged rides to Strava, so within a few minutes of finishing a ride it ends up logged both on Garmin Connect and Strava. The only thing I don't like is that the title of the ride on Strava contains a date in US format. Not sure if that's a Garmin or a Strava bug.

The Turn-by-Turn instructions seem to consist of an arrow pointing the way at every junction along with the name of the next road to take. I belive there's also supposed to be an alert just before every junction but I didn't hear anything. I'm a bit deaf so possibly the alerts are being sounded quietly and I just didn't hear them. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any volume setting.

I've not yet used the heart monitor as it's worn around the chest and I just want to confirm with my cardiologist that it's not going to interfere with my pacemaker. Not sure if there are any wrist worn monitors which are compatible with the Edge 1000.

All's looking good so far :-)

Just ordered one. Fed up with my Bryton Rider 60 that has been a bit of a disappointment well below its potential. Ruled out a Mio 505.

I know that the Edge 1000 is not going to be perfect and that I will not use any of the 'phone related functionality (don't have an iPhone or Android phone, and the 1000 is not compatible with Windows Mobile 10).

Any issues that I should be aware of? Tips?

JtB, did you sort out your HRM? I understand Mio do an ANT+ compatible wrist strap based HRM, but costs way more than a chest strap.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Update:

Less then 4 years later the rubber button covering the power switch cracked and broke off leaving the inside completely exposed to the elements - a bit frustrating really given the cost of this "high end" device.

From what I can tell, this seems to be quite a common fault and there doesn't seem to be a reliable fix other than calling Garmin for a fixed price repair / replacement. I've not yet called Garmin UK, so I don't know what this is going to cost and whether it will be worth it.

What a shame Garmin don't sell replacement back covers.

40588999693_4446951388.jpg

Nebulous

Guru
Update:

Less then 4 years later the rubber button covering the power switch cracked and broke off leaving the inside completely exposed to the elements - a bit frustrating really given the cost of this "high end" device.

From what I can tell, this seems to be quite a common fault and there doesn't seem to be a reliable fix other than calling Garmin for a fixed price repair / replacement. I've not yet called Garmin UK, so I don't know what this is going to cost and whether it will be worth it.

What a shame Garmin don't sell replacement back covers.

View attachment 461278

I got mine just over two years ago. I use my old 500 daily on a very short commute and have kept my 1000 as a 'best' device. It's kept in its original box, and is only used for training rides and events. On an audax about a month ago it began to make strange noises and then shut itself off. It was a very wet day, so I assumed it was water, but couldn't get it to work. It would switch on for a random period and then shut down again. I emailed them several times without being able to get a sensible response, then phoned.

My call was dealt with very well and I got a factory refurbished one as a warranty replacement. Turnaround time was very quick, and I had nothing to pay other than the registered delivery to return it. I've a lot of garmin products and my confidence had taken a dent, but I must say I'm prepared to stick with them for a bit longer now.

I've heard of people paying around £100 for a swapped out replacement, which is probably worth it. If I hadn't been made an offer I was off to the wahoo bolt.

Reactions: JtB
OP
OP
JtB

JtB

I've heard of people paying around £100 for a swapped out replacement, which is probably worth it.
Thanks.

I’ll give Garmin a call tomorrow and if it’s a fixed price £100 swap regardless of fault then I think I’ll continue using my current one until it stops working all together. At that point I’ll decide whether I want to swap or go for something else instead.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I got mine two and a half years ago, it’s been great. Round trip routing is really good when riding in unfamiliar areas, I bought it initially for riding in France. Heart rate monitor has been faultless but I haven’t yet fitted and paired up the cadence sensor.
On one occasion it froze at the start of a ride, this was easily fixed by pressing and holding the on/off button for 10 seconds. Mine is always in a silicon rubber type surround.
Garmin apparently are really good at dealing with issues, I would make a phone call.

Vertego

Thanks.

I’ll give Garmin a call tomorrow and if it’s a fixed price £100 swap regardless of fault then I think I’ll continue using my current one until it stops working all together. At that point I’ll decide whether I want to swap or go for something else instead.
Hi Shaun,

I'll be interested to know what response you get - mine is getting very close to getting to that state!

I might try a dab of bathroom silicone sealant. It might not look too pretty but it should keep water out when it rains and still be flexible enough to operate the switch.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Hi Shaun,

I'll be interested to know what response you get - mine is getting very close to getting to that state!

I might try a dab of bathroom silicone sealant. It might not look too pretty but it should keep water out when it rains and still be flexible enough to operate the switch.
Hi Vertego, Garmin could only offer a fixed price swap for about £195, so I’m just going to do a “rough and ready” fix and carry in using it while it still works. When it eventually stops working I’ll decide at that point if I want to swap or go with something else completely.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

In case anyone's interested, here's my "rough and ready" fix:
  1. Take a Garmin Edge 1000 with a broken rubber button,
  2. Cut a chunk out of a pencil rubber,
  3. Make a new rubber button,
  4. Seal the hole with insulation tape,
  5. Add a Garmin Silicon Cover
  6. And Bob's your uncle.
47593715691_0679b77339_c.jpg

I don't know how long it will last, but the on/off switch works better now than ever before.

Vertego

In case anyone's interested, here's my "rough and ready" fix:
  1. Take a Garmin Edge 1000 with a broken rubber button,
  2. Cut a chunk out of a pencil rubber,
  3. Make a new rubber button,
  4. Seal the hole with insulation tape,
  5. Add a Garmin Silicon Cover
  6. And Bob's your uncle.
View attachment 462004

I don't know how long it will last, but the on/off switch works better now than ever before.
Hi Shaun,

How's the 'fix'? Difficult to judge I would imagine before it gets subjected to the elements (as forecast this weekend!!!).

When you spoke to Garmin and the offered a fixed price swap at £195, was that for a replacement Edge 1000 (now obsolete) or for the current Edge 1030?

David.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Hi Shaun,

How's the 'fix'? Difficult to judge I would imagine before it gets subjected to the elements (as forecast this weekend!!!).

When you spoke to Garmin and the offered a fixed price swap at £195, was that for a replacement Edge 1000 (now obsolete) or for the current Edge 1030?

David.
Hi David,

Since taking that photo I shaped the rubber in the hole to make it sit neater and the button works better now than ever before. I don’t know how long it’ll last, but I’ve nothing to lose and while it still works every ride’s a bonus. I’ll not be venturing out into tomorrow’s wind though.

I didn’t discuss the details of the fixed price swap, my assumption though (rightly or wrongly) it that it would have been a reconditioned Edge 1000.

If you do venture out into the wind tomorrow - stay safe.

Shaun.

Nebulous

Guru
I did my first 400k audax at the weekend, and my replacement Garmin gave up on me after halfway. They really dont like prolonged rain.

I'm not clear where to go from here. My replacement came with a 30 day warranty and that must be just about up .After it died I started Strava on my phone so I have all the ride, just in two sections.

Audax veterans often use a rugged Garmin Etrex, with good reason I now think. That won't give me heart rate or other sensor data however.

Top Bottom