New Groupset issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
Ive been looking forward to a ride on my bike which has just been fitted with whole new 105 groupset. Reality was different as the ride was awful with gears constantly slipping when under load. I took it back and had the cable tension adjusted but no improvement.

Also wanted a 52/36 and 11/32 fitted but it came back with 50/34 and 11/28 which it went in with. Rear cassette seems a genuine mistake but LBS states 52/36 does not go well with 11/32 cassette therefore he stayed with a 50/34.

Not sure if I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes or if LBS advice is correct.

Advice please thanks.

e-rider

crappy member
105 works smoother than my Ultegra (both 11 speed versions) - actually my 105 5800 gruppo is the smoothest I've ever ridden in 30 years.
as for 36/52 ring options - as long as you have the longer cage rear mech it will work perfectly well although you will need a new longer chain if changing casstte at the same time
if you have the short cage rear mech then 11-28 is all you will do without replacing it to a medium cage rear mech
they are talking BS or you are not understanding correctly what they are saying

Note changing the rings and cassette isn't cheap - £100 with labour charge, even more with a new chain

midlife

Guru
The time to mention their take on gearing was when you requested it, otherwise what gets done is what is written on the job ticket. That's the contractual side of things.

If it's not working as it should then that's a mechanical issue.

It's back to the shop I'm afraid for a chat about what they can do to help you sort it out.

Shaun

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ive been looking forward to a ride on my bike which has just been fitted with whole new 105 groupset. Reality was different as the ride was awful with gears constantly slipping when under load. I took it back and had the cable tension adjusted but no improvement.

Also wanted a 52/36 and 11/32 fitted but it came back with 50/34 and 11/28 which it went in with. Rear cassette seems a genuine mistake but LBS states 52/36 does not go well with 11/32 cassette therefore he stayed with a 50/34.

Not sure if I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes or if LBS advice is correct.

Advice please thanks.
I'd find another bike shop, that one is talking bollocks.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Must admit, I struggle to see who's gonna need 52x11. I could spin that up to well over 50 mph.
EDIT - On a damn big hill, cos I certainly couldn't on the flat!
However - I'd have specified the exact ratios I wanted, and if they didn't make sense the shop could say then.
Not leave it as a surprise when you come to pick the bike up.
Did they actually change the cassette and chainset? Gears slipping under load sounds...odd, for a complete new groupset.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
50-34 and 32-11 is what I have on one of my bikes. I can safely say I've never spun that gear out and I've hit 50mph going downhill. I wouldn't worry too much on the chainset.

e-rider

crappy member
I used 42/52 for many years before moving on to 39/53. With recent developments in cycling I tried a 34/50 when they came out which was okay but the 34 can only be used on hills; no use on the flat. About two years ago I tried 36/52 Ultegra and for me it's the best combo I've ever tried, but that is taking into account my age-ability-riding these days - it wont suit everyone as it does me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I used 42/52 for many years before moving on to 39/53. With recent developments in cycling I tried a 34/50 when they came out which was okay but the 34 can only be used on hills; no use on the flat. About two years ago I tried 36/52 Ultegra and for me it's the best combo I've ever tried, but that is taking into account my age-ability-riding these days - it wont suit everyone as it does me.
I can never understand the 52/11 combo. With most road bikes now coming with an 11t sprocket I can't see how any other than the top riders need bigger than a 50. It also has the advantage of smaller gaps between ratios when you front shift with a 36t inner.

e-rider

crappy member
I can never understand the 52/11 combo. With most road bikes now coming with an 11t sprocket I can't see how any other than the top riders need bigger than a 50. It also has the advantage of smaller gaps between ratios when you front shift with a 36t inner.
I agree that the 52-11 isn't used very often - the advantage of a 52 over a 50 is the increased efficiency of larger chainrings - really we should all be riding with 55T but then us club riders would have a cassette full of huge sprockets to compensate for our weak legs - a 52 is a good compromise between efficiency and still using a standard cassette - it's not about getting bigger gears than a 50 can provide, like many people assume!
For example a 50-17 is the same size gear as 53-18 but the 53-18 is more efficient making it feel easier/quicker

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Talking out of his arse. If he didn't actually fit an 11-32 cassette, how can that be the reason for not fitting the requested chainset?

Also sounds like he's done a terrible job if it's not shifting smoothly.

Definitely time to find a new LBS.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the advantage of a 52 over a 50 is the increased efficiency of larger chainrings

I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate on this, please? I'm guessing something like reduced friction due to larger radius (tighter circle = more friction?) - would that be right? And how much difference does it actually make in real life conditions?

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
Bad shifting was due to mis aligned rear derailleur - not sure how it got knocked out. I'm just going to stick with 50/34 and 11/28. It's not like I climb mountains or can TT.

Hopefully the teething troubles are now over.

si_c

Guru
For most people a 50/34 is not a bad combination. Having used a 48/32 recently I'd say that is better. I've not managed to spin out the 48/11 combination yet on the flat.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For most people a 50/34 is not a bad combination. Having used a 48/32 recently I'd say that is better. I've not managed to spin out the 48/11 combination yet on the flat.
i run a 50/ 36 11-28 in fact i could probably use a 12-28 as i cant remember the last time i used the 11, on the flat with a tailwind i hasten to add i was clocking 26 mph and i was in 50 x 15 .

Top Bottom