New Groupset issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
i run a 50/ 36 11-28 in fact i could probably use a 12-28 as i cant remember the last time i used the 11, on the flat with a tailwind i hasten to add i was clocking 26 mph and i was in 50 x 15 .
That's the point, you can get good speeds with a 48/32 and an 11t rear sprocket, and at a sustainable cadence, such that the significant majority of riders wouldn't notice the reduced top end, but would notice the reduced low end. To suggest that you need a higher gear is pretty much vanity rather than reality, given that with a 48t chainring and 11t sprocket at 90rpm you are doing 30+ mph, which frankly is nowhere near spun out. I sincerely doubt that most people will get close to riding that sort of speed with any regularity.

Those who race may genuinely require a higher gear, but they are the minority. It will be interesting to see how many bike manufacturers take their bikes in this direction.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's the point, you can get good speeds with a 48/32 and an 11t rear sprocket, and at a sustainable cadence, such that the significant majority of riders wouldn't notice the reduced top end, but would notice the reduced low end. To suggest that you need a higher gear is pretty much vanity rather than reality, given that with a 48t chainring and 11t sprocket at 90rpm you are doing 30+ mph, which frankly is nowhere near spun out. I sincerely doubt that most people will get close to riding that sort of speed with any regularity.

Those who race may genuinely require a higher gear, but they are the minority. It will be interesting to see how many bike manufacturers take their bikes in this direction.
indeed my mtb has 12-25 48 /XX/XX triple and on the flat i am only pushing 48 x15 ish for 20 pace.

Top Bottom