New GT carbon frame - good value and correct size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tugster72

Hi all,

I'm new, so treat me gently! I've had a quick look through the fourm and there's tonnes of useful stuff. However, given different views on individual sizing requirements and manufacturer's different sizing systems, inevitably there is no definitive answer to my current issue. I thought some of you may like to consider and comment as appropriate!

I have a 61 cm Shogun aluminium frame that I bought second hand on impulse about 4 years ago and last year I upgraded the groupset (to 105 from the old 600) and wheels (to Mavic Open Pro). With a new saddle/seatpost and pedals also purchased, I'm only left with the original frame and bars/stem.

Having upgraded most of the bike, I used it a lot more last year and realised that the frame is too big (reach too long and lower back pain). Investigating it a bit more, I discovered that my "ideal" conventional frame size is 58 (I'm just over 6 feet tall with longish arms and legs).

Now, in looking for new frames I've come across this possible bargain. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23138

Only thing is, the 58cm frame is their XL size and looking on the GT website, it appears to cover frame sizes of 59cm and up (in traditional terms).

So, the burning questions are:

• Is the frame likely to be too large (bearing in mind that I can't test it in my LBS)?
  • Is the frame any good?
  • Is the frame good value for money?
The frame (material/design) may not be to some tastes - I think it looks quite good. However, I've no idea if it's actually any good.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Marin Maniac

Can't help with your question, but welcome and nice looking frame!

montage

God Almighty
You should allways be able to test it...somehow, I really would not risk buying an expensive frame without testing!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
measure the toptube on your current bike, and then compare it to the measured toptubes of the GT
ie the top tube of the GT is 58cm which is a large frame, suitable for about 6'2" which is what i would ride.
Lovely frame and well worth the money

Top Bottom