New Guidelines for Mobile Phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
I think the first thing you should do is look at your watch and note the exact time it shows (and subsequently check it against a time signal and correct your noted time if need be).

Surely, regardless of any "call register" in the phone, the mobile service provider logs the time of any use of the phone?

mrben

NickM said:
I think the first thing you should do is look at your watch and note the exact time it shows (and subsequently check it against a time signal and correct your noted time if need be).

Surely, regardless of any "call register" in the phone, the mobile service provider logs the time of any use of the phone?

Assuming, of course, that you can identify the provider too?

nethalus

Cab said:
A few weeks ago, I was trundling along in a cycle/bus lane, traffic to my right a bit slower than me. One car ahead kept weaving left and right, I slowed down to come up to it slowly, I had no idea what it was doing, in and out of the bus lane like that. I got close, saw the driver was on her mobile phone. I accelerated past when she was going in a more or less straight line, and yelled 'Get off your damned phone'. Unusual for me, I don't normally yell at someone for something like that or I'd be hoarse all the time :angry:

She chose to let the entire road know her feelings on the subject by sounding her horn intermittently for at lest, oh, 15 seconds or so, well past the time she would have still been able to see me...

So yeah, stiffer penalties. They're ignoring the current ones and plod aren't looking very interested in imposing weak penalties.
I agree with that. Still seeing far too many people on their mobiles, blantanly disobeying a well advertised law. And a lot of them are people who should know better, ie those who drive for a living.
Apparently I've heard that also they are taking a dim view of professional drivers who smoke and drive too. See so many van, lorry, bus and coach drivers doing that.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The real answer would be to legally have to have your regestration and mobile number linked to a phone jammer built into the electrics of new cars or vans as standard. This could then alert the DVLA whenever you use your phone in motion. Both mobile phones and car reg are trackable and traceable.

To use a mobile at any time is now an inailiable human right to some in much the same that owning and using a private vehicle has become

I once tried using a bluetooth headset when out on the trike. It was a total distraction and fluid conversation was near impossible, so I binned the idea.

T x

Pete said:
I suppose, if I got involved in a real 'incident' involving a mobile phone user, the first thing I'd try and do is grab the phone in question. Stop the owner surreptitiously erasing the 'call register', you must understand. And with the declared intention of handing the phone over to the first uniformed police officer on the scene, you must understand, so it couldn't be called theft.

I could try the argument that I confiscated the phone 'to prevent further danger to the public', should the offender drive off...

Coppers now routinely check mobile phone records after accidents to see whether the driver was using it when the accident happened.

One of my multi-modal buddies was an inspector based in Bromley nick. He told me of an incident when he attended the immediate aftermath of a fatal car accident. The driver had been on the phone to his wife, who was still on the line, saying "What's happened? What's that noise? Are you alright?" to her now-dead husband. He hates mobile phone use with a passion.

Tynan

Veteran
Twenty Inch said:
Coppers now routinely check mobile phone records after accidents to see whether the driver was using it when the accident happened.

One of my multi-modal buddies was an inspector based in Bromley nick. He told me of an incident when he attended the immediate aftermath of a fatal car accident. The driver had been on the phone to his wife, who was still on the line, saying "What's happened? What's that noise? Are you alright?" to her now-dead husband. He hates mobile phone use with a passion.

yikes, thanks for that, I think

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Arch said:
No. no, you're quite right. There have been moments recently when the motivation has almost returned, so I think maybe it's a New Year, clean sweep sort of thing to do. I have until May, officially (well, that's the length of extention Ive been promised), but I'll have to get a job after Chirstmas, so maybe I can get a new routine going...

To anyone starting a PhD. Know why you want to do it, and prepare backup reasons for if your inital motivation subsides halfway through.

Thats probably why only about half (can't remember the exact statistic) the people who start a PhD actually finish... Arch, you have got this far you might as well finish, and I speak as someone who submitted with 2 hours to spare...

NickM

Veteran
Twenty Inch said:
...The driver had been on the phone to his wife, who was still on the line, saying "What's happened? What's that noise? Are you alright?" to her now-dead husband...
Did he kill anybody else? That would have been a tragedy.

mcd

Pete said:
I could try the argument that I confiscated the phone 'to prevent further danger to the public', should the offender drive off...

Just as long as they don't try the argument 'he stole my phone and made a call to frame me'.

Pete

Hairy Jock said:
Thats probably why only about half (can't remember the exact statistic) the people who start a PhD actually finish... Arch, you have got this far you might as well finish, and I speak as someone who submitted with 2 hours to spare...
I was one of the other half. :laugh: At least, no-one has to put 'Dr' in front of my name, ever. Knew it was a bummer project right from the start, and just lost interest...

Actualy - I think we have done Arch's Thesis:

"Cyllists perceptions of mobile phone use in vehicles - a qualitative study"

Had one at a junction, Chavriolet pulled up alongside on phone. Knocked on Window, made "window down gesture" and stated "You are committing an offence - Put the phone down immediately" in an officious manner.

Worked - put the phone down and avoided eye contact completely

Twenty Inch said:
He told me of an incident when he attended the immediate aftermath of a fatal car accident. The driver had been on the phone to his wife, who was still on the line, saying "What's happened? What's that noise? Are you alright?" to her now-dead husband. He hates mobile phone use with a passion.

Apparently the last thing Cozy Powell (ex Rainbow drummer) said to his wife was on the phone at around 90mph on the M4. It was reported in the papers as "an expletive" which he must have said as he realised what was going to happen.

Top Bottom