New Guy Getting started with Bkool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey everyone,

So after much deliberation I've decided to order an indoor smart trainer and hook up my bike to it. I've got a TacX Vortex smart on the way and it should be here tomorrow. I'm putting my 26" Nishiki MTB on it. I plan to run a laptop and sent it out to a TV. I purchased a Garmin ANT+ usb stick to connect the smart trainer. Hopefully I can get it all working. So I have some questions.

There really doesn't seem to be a good place to find info on getting started with Bkool. So I'm looking for sort of a Bkool for Dummies guide so that once I get it all hooked up I can try it out!!

A few big questions that I can't find answer to are as follows:

1. What does the Free membership get you? Sounds like the free membership might be totally worthless? I want to pay for a premium for me but my wife would like to use this occasionally and I didn't want to buy 2 premium memberships.

2. Will the setup I've described above work ok and be relatively accurate. At least in the sense that I can use it for Multi Player or leagues, etc. etc.

3. Where can I look for help to get started? Videos, guides, or do I need to just wing it and see what happens? I've heard the interface is pretty clunky.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

CXRAndy

Guru
Hey everyone,

So after much deliberation I've decided to order an indoor smart trainer and hook up my bike to it. I've got a TacX Vortex smart on the way and it should be here tomorrow. I'm putting my 26" Nishiki MTB on it. I plan to run a laptop and sent it out to a TV. I purchased a Garmin ANT+ usb stick to connect the smart trainer. Hopefully I can get it all working. So I have some questions.
Two parts to Bkool, the website where you review, schedule, create rides, join leagues etc. Then the Bkool SIMulator, which is what you use to connect to your Trainer and do the ride

There really doesn't seem to be a good place to find info on getting started with Bkool. So I'm looking for sort of a Bkool for Dummies guide so that once I get it all hooked up I can try it out!!

1. What does the Free membership get you? Sounds like the free membership might be totally worthless? I want to pay for a premium for me but my wife would like to use this occasionally and I didn't want to buy 2 premium memberships. 30 Days I believe, you can use one account and just change your weight before each ride and put a note on the comment section of the ride

2. Will the setup I've described above work ok and be relatively accurate. At least in the sense that I can use it for Multi Player or leagues, etc. etc. Yes, the Vortex only offers resistance upto 7%, but will be more than enough until you get stronger

3. Where can I look for help to get started? Videos, guides, or do I need to just wing it and see what happens? I've heard the interface is pretty clunky. http://www.bkool.com/help/home It not bad, just takes a little getting used to it, just keep asking questions on here, someone will know

comments in bold in your text

OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
comments in bold in your text
Thanks Andy! So, really there's no such thing as a free membership. Only a free trial. Will having different riders on the same profile cause any issues with any rankings or awards, or anything like that. I haven't been in the simulator so not sure what they give you for accomplishments.

OH, and I thought of another questions. Would the addition of a Wahoo cadence sensor help me in any way? I'm not really worried what my cadence is, but if it helps the simulator better track what I'm doing then I'd consider adding it.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend

1. What does the Free membership get you? Sounds like the free membership might be totally worthless? I want to pay for a premium for me but my wife would like to use this occasionally and I didn't want to buy 2 premium memberships.

2. Will the setup I've described above work ok and be relatively accurate. At least in the sense that I can use it for Multi Player or leagues, etc. etc.

3. Where can I look for help to get started? Videos, guides, or do I need to just wing it and see what happens? I've heard the interface is pretty clunky.

1. [this is from memory, and may not be correct - there used to be a page on the website that showed what each type of membership gave you, but it seems to have disappeared] Free membership allows you to ride routes with a map view. - a blue line on the map which you follow as you pedal. The trainer is still controlled by the software, so you get gradient-related resistance changes. If you want to use 3D view, or videos, you have to buy a subscription.
If 2 people use the same subscription, all the rides for both people will be treated as if they were done by one person, so separating out your rides will be difficult. You will have to change the rider's weight before every ride, as it's used in some of the software calculations.

2. As the trainer is compatible with Bkool, Yes it will work. Some users of non-Bkool trainers have said that it gives them an unfair advantage (or sometimes, disadvantage) in multi-player settings because the software doesn't control them as accurately as Bkool's own trainers. I think that @T.M.H.N.E.T of this forum uses that trainer, so he may be willing to give more specific advice on potential problems, best settings, way of connecting etc.

3. The interface was "improved" (i.e. radically changed) a few weeks ago. It's still clunky, maybe more so now than it was before. Geoff Brown's Bkool faq is a good place to start learning. If there are any questions you can't find an answer to, ask on here.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
1. [this is from memory, and may not be correct - there used to be a page on the website that showed what each type of membership gave you, but it seems to have disappeared] Free membership allows you to ride routes with a map view. - a blue line on the map which you follow as you pedal. The trainer is still controlled by the software, so you get gradient-related resistance changes. If you want to use 3D view, or videos, you have to buy a subscription.
If 2 people use the same subscription, all the rides for both people will be treated as if they were done by one person, so separating out your rides will be difficult. You will have to change the rider's weight before every ride, as it's used in some of the software calculations.

2. As the trainer is compatible with Bkool, Yes it will work. Some users of non-Bkool trainers have said that it gives them an unfair advantage (or sometimes, disadvantage) in multi-player settings because the software doesn't control them as accurately as Bkool's own trainers. I think that @T.M.H.N.E.T of this forum uses that trainer, so he may be willing to give more specific advice on potential problems, best settings, way of connecting etc.

3. The interface was "improved" (i.e. radically changed) a few weeks ago. It's still clunky, maybe more so now than it was before. Geoff Brown's Bkool faq is a good place to start learning. If there are any questions you can't find an answer to, ask on here.
Not sure what's going on these days. I did have a vortex but sold it pending the arrival of a Tacx Flux instead. I did have to update the firmware when I got it new so it was FEC ready, but apart from that I just turned the pedals really hard, really often and got incredibly fit.

:laugh:

OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
The Tacx Vortex will not need a seperate cadence sensor, so no need to buy one.
Awesome, the Mail man just dropped off the package a little bit ago. Can't wait to get it setup. I'm trying to clean up my laptop right now because it's an older Toshiba (about 5 yrs old) and I want it to run as smoothly as I can. I wanted to set everything up in the Foyer but the wife isn't to keen on that so looks like I'll be in the basement.

I may add a HR sensor at some point, but we'll see if I can get into the habit of using this daily or at least most days first.

Top Bottom