New guy hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffabe

Forgot to mention I`m 51 years young and currently weigh 235 lbs (16.8 stones). Been riding since August this year, started with a Giant Sedoa DX (7comfort bike) with the intention of riding for exercise since my knee doesn`t allow me to run or walk long distances comfortably.

I forgot how much fun riding is so I then purchased a Salsa Fargo and fell in love. We have many dirt and forest roads to ride on along with paved but the forest roads are more fun.

Winter has hit, snow, ice and when it warms up softens up the roads and makes it hard on the Salsa (and especially me), so I purchased a Salsa Mukluk and can now go most places.

For the days when the weather is just too cold with low wind chill to ride, I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer.

You could say I went overboard but what price for health? I have to have a retirement hobby and I really enjoy this one. I need to lose weight and get in shape. Already lost 20lbs (9 kilos) and just enjoyed a 36 mile (57.9 km) on my fat bike. It was extremely hard for me I need a lot of work. I imagine it would have been easier on my Fargo but conditions were meant for the Mukluk. I try to ride 5 out of 7 days and hope to be able to ride 100 miles (161 km) by summer.
On a very positive note I can say that my Brooks B17 Imperial was perfect and after trying many saddles this one is here to stay.

After seeing how hard it is to ride long distances I really have a lot of respect for you guys and gals that do it well.

Shaun

Founder
Welcome to CycleChat @jeffabe :hello:

Welcome @ stupid o clock in the UK .... remember it's not about huge distances, lots of us have horrible memories of 100 mile+ rides into headwinds on the way home, but if mind and legs are up for it.....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome :welcome:. I have a brooks as well and its the best investment i have ever made where bikes are concerned. You either love them or hate them though.

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:
36 miles on a fat bike is impressive :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. You’ve done well, shedding weight and getting fit is always a good idea, on a bike it’s just more fun. Looking forward to hearing about your ongoing progress. Any questions just ask.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome, jeffabe, drop into the cafe sometimes plenty of fun, frivolity and light hearted information to be had.

Top Bottom