new here advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarattie

Hi Im new here! And Im hoping you can help!

I need some advice!
I am after a new bike. im not bothered about price really but no more than £1000!!

I want one that I could use for road and tracks like tow paths, light terrain (few roots and kerbs etc) but not full on mountain biking!

I also want one that is going to be LIGHT so I can lift it easy over stiles and in and out my car.

I am thinking "hybrid" maybe. speedy and light is my priority! slickky tyres on middle but grippy on the outside, but I guess I can buy tyres separate after.

I am pretty much a novice, 40 miles is my max but im hoping to ge tmore into it once I have a bike taht suits my needs.

I currently have a Giant terrago which i find heavy going

Any advice would be grand!!

ta!

OP
OP
S

sarattie

im not sure how the font got that big! lol sorry!!

Tynan

Veteran
£1000 is a lot of budget for the sort of thing you're after, hybrid of some kind sounds ideal

Same advice as ever, go to a good bike shop and see what they recommend, then take it out to ride, the more you spend the lighter (and faster) the bike should get, and the components etc should be higher quality/spec which is nice

repeat at another good bike shop etc etc

see what you like

tyres are a detail, they're not expensive and they don't take long to change

where are you based?

font looks fine to me here btw

and save some money for some kit too, clothes, bags, stuff

OP
OP
S

sarattie

luckily i have all the kit. All the gear, no idea. thats me!! lol

I think lighter is my aim... We're heading into london today to have a look around as they sell more hybriddy types there.

Im in reading.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If your coming into London with a £1000 budget have a look at Evans cycles, there are quite a few of their shops around.High Holborn, Grays inn road, Next to Waterloo Station in the Cut. See what they have to offer.

OP
OP
S

sarattie

will let you know how i get on thanks for the advice. (my £1000 is my max! Im ideally looking abot £5-700.)

OP
OP
S

sarattie

hmmmm ok well after a day of trapsing about heres my choices I think....

I like the Marin City San Rafael (womens and mens are both nice)
prod_41302.jpg

prod_41301.jpg

also the giant CRS 1.0 (again I like both men and womens version)
prod_42872.jpg

CRS20120w2007_LRG.gif

and finally the Gaint Cypress

cypressLX2008.jpg

ANY opinions or advice welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks

Tynan

Veteran
Have you ridden them? If so whatever you like is best

They do rather look a bit sit up and beg old lady to me though

rather than the light and fast you talked about originally

Abitrary

I always give the marins a tweak when I'm in bike shops, and they seem quite light and well put together. I don't think you could go wrong with one of those.

Absolutely forget cheap suspension forks for what you want to do. They will annoy you when you start / ride / stop.

I think for what you're after, carbon forks rather than suspension or steel will make the bike ride like a dream.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
men's bikes are generally stiffer and stronger than open framed ladies' bikes. i would recommend getting a man's bike. find the frame size that's right for your height, and get the shop to fit a shorter handlebar stem and, most importantly, a lady's saddle.

i know a few female riders who do this, and they wouldn't consider compromising on the frame for the sake of "girlyness".

OP
OP
S

sarattie

yes I am more swung to the mens frames, all my mtb's have been men's. though the bikes above have more slanty top bar over some....

Id prefer an uprightish position over the "bum up" postition as I am not in it for the long distance, just the "leisure" really. Im not a sporty cycler, just for fitness and fun, usually around the chilterns to appreciate the scenery etc...

Imnot sure really which is the "best" choice from the 3. I think lighter the better?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The san rafael is light although it has some kind of suspension system on it I'm afraid. Parts are pretty much identical to my bike. I'm a social cyclist who commutes and goes plodding round the country lanes for fun. For the money, however you may well be able to get something quite a bit more high spec.

Abitrary

marinyork said:
The san rafael is light although it has some kind of suspension system on it I'm afraid.

How does that suspension system affect the overall ride?

Sorry to play devil's advocate, but the strength and give of carbon forks available theses days is, dare I say it, almost sexual.

OP
OP
S

sarattie

if its getting "sexual" then I definately want carbon forks lol

You say for the price of a Marin I can get a better spec, please can you suggest something as I get lost looking and Im not ofay with the specs.

I think maybe the Giant CRS/Cypress have carbon forks? not sure...

I thought choosing a good bike would be easy but its a minefield!

My first bike I bought 2 years ago was a giant terrago, and Ive hated it since. Too heavy and the disc brakes keep locking up causing a hell of a drag.

Top Bottom