New Here - my cycling story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozi

Hi

I fancied signing up to a cycling community and this one seems pretty good so here I am, I may as well give a little background on my cycling.

I started cycling in 2010 when I bought my current mountain bike on the cycle to work scheme, I have never been to serious about it or done many miles until recent years as at the end of 2011 I became very ill very quickly and ended up having an emergency operation to remove my entire large bowel followed by many issues and other big operations in the following years. As you can probably imagine being without a large part of your digestive system poses a number of health issues making it very hard to function day to day as it's difficult to get the nutrition you require, fitness is virtually impossible due to the lack of iron I seem to get among other things and the fact I have very little immune system... that's enough excuses though this is why I cycle!

I have tried a few times to get cycling without sticking to it until this year when in May I decided I wanted to do 30 miles a week which would hopefully see me get 1000 by the end of the year, I never stick to anything but amazingly I haven't missed a single week since and completed the 1000 miles a few weeks ago! It's probably not very impressive to most serious cyclists but every ride I do is an uphill battle so I will probably never manage to be very good at it.

I'm hoping by joining a forum I may be able to get some tips and tricks to make me a better rider and get my average speed up as it's pretty slow and unimpressive.

Introductions is probably not the place for all that back story but it does say tell us a little about yourself and the cycling you do I just told a lot instead of a little lol

My strava profile if anybody is interested
https://www.strava.com/athletes/9164675

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

We all have to start somewhere - I've been riding again since 2011 and, when fit, cover 150-200 miles a week particularly in commuting and audaxes

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

:welcome:

We all have to start somewhere - I've been riding again since 2011 and, when fit, cover 150-200 miles a week particularly in commuting and audaxes

That's a pretty mind boggling amount a week to me I'm impressed! Can't see myself ever getting to that level!

Thanks for the welcomes guys

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's a pretty mind boggling amount a week to me I'm impressed! Can't see myself ever getting to that level!

You never know :whistle:

I got roped into riding Paris-Brest-Paris in 2015 by my son's coach, who in the end didn't join me. Before then I'd ridden no further than 180 miles in one go.

London-Edinburgh-London this year didn't seem that much further.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome :welcome:. Doesn't matter how many miles you do, getting out there even for just a few miles is better than a ot of people, and is an even better effort given your health problems. Well done and i wish you continued sucess.

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Thanks all for the words of encouragement as I don't often get many, I know a few cyclists but they are very much elitists and because I ride a mountain bike mostly and don't have all the cycle gear and wear flats etc they don't seem to acknowledge me as a cyclist... even though I do more miles than they do!

Jason

Thanks all for the words of encouragement as I don't often get many, I know a few cyclists but they are very much elitists and because I ride a mountain bike mostly and don't have all the cycle gear and wear flats etc they don't seem to acknowledge me as a cyclist... even though I do more miles than they do!

you carry on doing your own thing and don't pay any notice to the wanna be pro riders. Cycling can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be,but we all have to pedal

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome, and if you are doing 30 miles a week then you are doing more than some one here:okay:. Set yourself realistic goals. Fantasy ones that are beyond reach can be demoralising, or break it down, so looking at a weekly target that's building to the year target is much easier to chip away at. Some weeks you might do under so you can then try to do more the following week if you want to "catch up".

pawl

Legendary Member
Hi

I fancied signing up to a cycling community and this one seems pretty good so here I am, I may as well give a little background on my cycling.

I started cycling in 2010 when I bought my current mountain bike on the cycle to work scheme, I have never been to serious about it or done many miles until recent years as at the end of 2011 I became very ill very quickly and ended up having an emergency operation to remove my entire large bowel followed by many issues and other big operations in the following years. As you can probably imagine being without a large part of your digestive system poses a number of health issues making it very hard to function day to day as it's difficult to get the nutrition you require, fitness is virtually impossible due to the lack of iron I seem to get among other things and the fact I have very little immune system... that's enough excuses though this is why I cycle!

I have tried a few times to get cycling without sticking to it until this year when in May I decided I wanted to do 30 miles a week which would hopefully see me get 1000 by the end of the year, I never stick to anything but amazingly I haven't missed a single week since and completed the 1000 miles a few weeks ago! It's probably not very impressive to most serious cyclists but every ride I do is an uphill battle so I will probably never manage to be very good at it.

I'm hoping by joining a forum I may be able to get some tips and tricks to make me a better rider and get my average speed up as it's pretty slow and unimpressive.

Introductions is probably not the place for all that back story but it does say tell us a little about yourself and the cycling you do I just told a lot instead of a little lol
O
My strava profile if anybody is interested
https://www.strava.com/athletes/9164675

Well done Loz.In my book if you ride a bike you are a cyclist. Enjoy what you are doing and don’t get bogged down with targets.
Last year I set myself a target of 3000miles.Up to know I have just topped 1000miles,enjoyed every mile,didn’t set myself any targets other than to enjoy every mile.

As the poem states.What is this life if full of care ew have no time to stand and stare.

GOOD LUCK

Top Bottom