New Here - my cycling story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Thanks for all your kind words it means a lot!

It is really hard at times I’m often unwell and even when I am well (as i can be anyway) my stamina and recovery is very poor due to my constant lack of nutrients and borderline dehydration. For some reason even now after doing over 1000 miles in 6 months I still cannot do any reasonable distances I did a 30 mile ride a couple times and it nearly killed me lol

The 30 miles a week target is the sole reason I managed to keep going I have been really ill but still gone out and ground it out because I “need” the miles, I would have given up long ago if it wasn’t for that.

It’s hard at the moment because it’s always freezing and dark when I go out! I had a nightmare yesterday!

Going for 2000 next year!

You never know :whistle:

I got roped into riding Paris-Brest-Paris in 2015 by my son's coach, who in the end didn't join me. Before then I'd ridden no further than 180 miles in one go.

London-Edinburgh-London this year didn't seem that much further.
Try that again without a bowel.

Not criticising you, but everything is easier if you have all your vital organs.

Welcome @Lozi. You should be proud of your progress.

I still cannot do any reasonable distances

Would stopping after 15 miles for a proper meal at a cafe and a good sit allow you to increase your distance?

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Welcome @Lozi. You should be proud of your progress.

Would stopping after 15 miles for a proper meal at a cafe and a good sit allow you to increase your distance?

Thanks I am pretty proud of it and especially as it seems to bother the elitists at work what I manage each week.

To be honest I can't really handle stopping for more than a few minutes my muscles give up if I do, eating is a difficult one for me as with the main digestive equipment missing stuff travels through pretty fast I have to be careful to fit cycling around that. It's better for me than some with my particular operation as I can get away with 4 or 5 times a day on the toilet some people have to cope with 30 plus!

Just in case anybody was wondering I had severe Ulcerative Colitis which resulted in a subtotal collectomy which after a few horrible things and full open surgerys over a few years I have ended up with what I have now which is a Illeoanal Pouch.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a friend with a bowel illness, I can't remember which one as im forgetful. He's had several operations but still has his bowel currently, but I know one of things he finds hard is balancing the nutrients and how he feels depending on where he is in the cycle of B12 injections. He also looks pretty healthy so gets looks off people for using the disable loo occasionally.

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

I have a friend with a bowel illness, I can't remember which one as im forgetful. He's had several operations but still has his bowel currently, but I know one of things he finds hard is balancing the nutrients and how he feels depending on where he is in the cycle of B12 injections. He also looks pretty healthy so gets looks off people for using the disable loo occasionally.

It's probably colitis or crones, I didn't live with the illness I had for long as it went from zero to passing pints of blood in a matter of days so I had to have an emergency op because my bowel was about to perforate which can mean game over. You are right about the disabled loo's not all disabilities are visible and people can be very judging. It's sometimes hard for me to get across to people that my fitness after a lot of very consistent cycling is probably not even as good as a normal healthy person who doesn't exercise!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's probably colitis or crones, I didn't live with the illness I had for long as it went from zero to passing pints of blood in a matter of days so I had to have an emergency op because my bowel was about to perforate which can mean game over. You are right about the disabled loo's not all disabilities are visible and people can be very judging. It's sometimes hard for me to get across to people that my fitness after a lot of very consistent cycling is probably not even as good as a normal healthy person who doesn't exercise!
You are right, he has Colitis and my brother in law has Chrons I think it's that way round.

As long as your doctor is happy with you cycling them keep at it, as it will help if you are fitter than someone just giving in to an illness!

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Great to hear your story, and continue to push the boundaries after illness. To give you more encouragement I had stage 4 cancer 13 chemo cycles and 2 bone marrow transplants in 2014. Yesterday I cycled 84km. Anything is possible.

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Great to hear your story, and continue to push the boundaries after illness. To give you more encouragement I had stage 4 cancer 13 chemo cycles and 2 bone marrow transplants in 2014. Yesterday I cycled 84km. Anything is possible.

Firstly sorry to hear that it must have been terrible! Are you ok now?

Thanks for sharing that it shows what is possible.

When they first sat me down to break the bad news to me they gave me a booklet about what I could expect and the main story in it was about a guy who has the same operation as me, after lots of hard work he was able to get to the point where he cycled down the entire length of the east coast of America north to south. It does give you hope.

Top Bottom