New Hudson ladies bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welshnwobbly

I am the proud owner of this New Hudson ladies bike which I am in the process of restoring.
As you can see, it has a rear wheel powered three gear integral system, which I am taking apart to repair and service with high, normal and low gear.
It has a giant Lucas bell, came with a Brooks B2 (I think) sprung seat which I am restoring and repairing separately and heavy steel mud and chain guards with two lovely leather straps maybe for attaching a basket to the front.
The frame has lost its colour and is rough with mild rust and dirt but was purple.
I bought it for £20 at a boot sale and have found that the wheels and tyres are very good and the gears seem to work so is roadworthy even as it is but it is very heavy and difficult to ride.
I have a number of questions:
1, Could I convert this into a battery-powered bike?
2, What should I do with the manky frame? Spray it?
3, The Brooks saddle broke due to the nose breaking from the leather seat. I would now need to re-rivet it with wide rivets as the leather holes have expanded. Is it possible to restore it if the leather is no longer hard?
4, Does anyone know exactly which model this is and when it was built?

Attachments

• newhudson2.jpg
    newhudson2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Newhudson1.jpg
    Newhudson1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 7

alicat

Legendary Member
The title of your thread confused me. Maybe repost it in the projects/rebuild forum and you might get some responses.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice. Probably 50's but you'll find a date stamp on the SA hub. There should be a number on the rear drop out which you can look up.
You could just tidy up, treat the rust and give it a wax.
You may be able to get a electric motor wheel conversion. What size are the wheels? The problem might be mounting the battery as there are no bottle cages. Could go on a rear rack.
No idea on the saddle. Is it a Brooks? They have a repair service but won't be cheap. New ones are available.
Good luck and keep us updated.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know anything much about electric conversions but would assume you would need to get a new wheel with the correct rim size. I would assume you have 26 x 1 3/8" (590mm) wheels. If getting a wheel built, use an alloy rim for better braking.

However, start with the cheap bit. Most 3 speed bikes left the factory with ludicrous high gearing. Check the number of teeth on the sprocket on the hub. I'd expect it to be 18. It's cheap and easy (assuming the hub is post 1952) to do this. You might need to add a few links to the chain. You will then have lower gear ratios which will make it much easier to ride.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd agree with others here, do a thorough clean and ensure brakes and gears are working then start riding it; you will soon find out what else you might want to do.

Totally agree with @SkipdiverJohn more SA three speeds have been put out of service by tinkering than neglect.

OP
OP
Welshnwobbly

Welshnwobbly

Nice. Probably 50's but you'll find a date stamp on the SA hub. There should be a number on the rear drop out which you can look up.
You could just tidy up, treat the rust and give it a wax.
You may be able to get a electric motor wheel conversion. What size are the wheels? The problem might be mounting the battery as there are no bottle cages. Could go on a rear rack.
No idea on the saddle. Is it a Brooks? They have a repair service but won't be cheap. New ones are available.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Hi,
Thanks for this.
SA hub?
Yes. I could put a rear rack on it.
The saddle is a Brooks B2 lady's saddle. Unfortunately, the leather split at the nose so it became rather loose like a hammock. I think I can repair that saddle with new rivets I can buy online.
The tyres are Michelin Endurance 26 x 3/8 37/590 (what is that for?). They are quite heavy steel wheels, Lucas, I think. The bell is definitely Lucas. Lucas bought out New Hudson, apparently.
I am assuming that SA is Sturmey Archer? I do not see how I could put new links on the chain or extend it.
When I rode it last it was with tyres down on pressure, low saddle position and pointing upwards so it felt almost as if I was lying down! I've now extended the seat post and put a newer saddle on and pumped the tyres up to 55.
These three new pics show the state of the chain and ring and what I think is the SA hub but may not be.
Yes, the teeth on the sprocket was 18.
What is the situation with the chain and chainring? Can they be replaced?

Attachments

• links.jpg
    links.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3
  • sahub.jpg
    sahub.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4
  • chainring.jpg
    chainring.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Chances are it is SA, it'll be stamped. The chainring and sprocket look fine. I should just buy a new chain. It'll be over size so you'll need a chain link tool. Unless the BB has play leave it be, those cotter pins will be a barsteward to remove.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Welshnwobbly

Welshnwobbly

Hi,
One of the links in the chain going into the hub for the three speed gear has broken off (see picture).
Can I repair that chain or is it possible to buy a new whole gear unit?
I have absolutely no idea what happens inside the hub with that chain link so have no idea how to remove or repair it.
I took off one pedal today and replaced it with a lighter better pedal but oddly on the right side the pedal wrench 15mm just would not fit so I was completely unable to remove that pedal. Really odd. I even tried filing down the metal on the pedal. The left pedal wrench fitted perfectly and it was off really easy but right no joy.
No play in bottom bracket (BB).
In terms of buying a new chain......What size would I be looking to buy?
I gave the frame a wax and polish today and it seems really OK.
I'm reducing the weight and improving the rideability. I only ever rode it with flat tyres.

Attachments

• link.jpg
    link.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Welshnwobbly

Welshnwobbly

Hi,
Thanks for that.
It's actually a BSA three speed hub
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14468569...db9WAmjs_Bag6Ee102eUJs2yTNNFwMUAaAmwyEALw_wcB
I've now put both wheels on, bought new chain, and will need to fit new brakes.
I think the big issue is how much of the original parts and components (for instance, there is an insert on the down tube where a hand pump was fitted) like the original pedals, I keep to maintain it as vintage and how many new parts I add. I'm almost certainly going to sell it.

alicat

Legendary Member
If you're going to sell it, change as little as possible and only the things that will bring a higher price. People like 'vintage' and the less you spend the less you eat into your profit.

OP
OP
Welshnwobbly

Welshnwobbly

I just tried to remove it from the axle but it wouldn't budge.
My strong suspicion is that it is in the wrong gear for extraction.
I wasn't entirely sure what manipulation is needed as the vid does not have a spoken commentary. It is winding chain anti-clockwise three or four times but the mechanic seemed to do something before which I did not properly get. Did they wind it clockwise first?
Without the gear shifter device attached, I have no idea how I would extract it. Would I have to re-assemble and shift the gear?
The gear it is in is also stopping the rear wheel from rolling naturally and forces it back.

Top Bottom