New job, back to commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Which is fine until there's an escalator catches fire, or a bloke gets on with a bomb, or there's a flu epidemic, or you get your foot trodden on in the rush hour crush or your pocket picked....

The two year thing is a fact, based on stats. Those stats take into account people dying early in collisions. The two year thing still 'works'. Of course, it's not so much consolation if you're one of the negative stats, but if you thought about it too much, you'd never even get out of bed. You know how many people die in their own homes in accidents?

Or in bed, for that matter....

The two year thing is an average over all regions over the whole population. It is entirely possible that localised regions will be much worse for cycling safety. Crankarm may well live in one of these areas.

I'm glad to hear about your new job, and you seem to like it so whatever you choose, good luck! :smile:

+1 - missed this off my first post.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks for the good luck wishes on the job front. There are folk on here who actually read and are not just interested in talking about themselves are ramming their POV at you. The job appears to be a great opportunity. One has to start some where so from the first rung the direction is only up. Can't say with who just yet, suffice to say they are a huge huge global multi-national enterprise. Management have said there will be ongoing opportunities and it all depends how far you want to go and how able you are :becool:.

The cycling thing. I might try it again one day this week as the traffic has been quite light the last week at 6:30am and not too bad coming home at 4pm. The fact that it is school holidays might be giving a false impression that the roads are safe. But come the new school term I'll be on shift from 2-10pm so hopefully no doing battle with fat b*****ds in huge 4x4s with one fat kid in the back. Even going along in the car at 55-60mph some cars pass by at death defying speeds as if I'm driving at 5mph. But this is the Fens - lawless and full of rednecks.

Anyway guys thanks for the posts so far.

Btw please don't conflate health issues with methods of commuting. As a group people who regularly cycle MAY be a lot more healthy than others who don't and live longer as a result, but as a means of transport as a cyclist one is x9 more likely to be killed on the roads than by using other means of transport. My experience supports this.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 1146760"]
With the amount of comments you have made with respect to drivers in the Fens I'd drive if I was you.

Add 'failed cyclist' to the highlighted above.
[/quote]

If you don't have anything constructive or positive to say then best don't ...............

Glow worm

Legendary Member
All the best with the new job - really hope it goes well for you. Your commute times of day sound ideal for missing the heaviest traffic, but I take your point about bladdered drivers on the Fens. Have you been out on the bike at all over the summer? If not, try a few short weekend rides, build the old confidence back a bit, then in a couple of weeks or so, have a go at the commute. Are there any alternative routes/ bridleways/ farm tracks you could try instead? Some of the best ones don't even show on O.S. maps. One I do is an old railway line across private land and I just asked the farmer if he was OK about me using it and he was fine. such routes would be great at this time of year- not so much fun in winter though. Your facilities at work sound great for cyclists. Give it a go when you're ready and good luck.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow as the weather is set fine. I have been cycling off road and for an hour or so during the evenings when the world cup was on as the traffic was really light. Plus once a month I go out really really early on a sunday ride. There's no real alternative route to work except B roads where the rednecks reach insane speeds.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Btw please don't conflate health issues with methods of commuting. As a group people who regularly cycle MAY be a lot more healthy than others who don't and live longer as a result, but as a means of transport as a cyclist one is x9 more likely to be killed on the roads than by using other means of transport. My experience supports this.

Well, it doesn't, technically, does it, because you're alive.

Whatever. Have fun in your new job. Huge global multinational?

You don't have anything to do with fries, do you? ;)

Davidc

Guru
The 2 years extra life includes the early death rate for cyclists.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Your sentence doesn't make sense.

Yes it does. The statistic showing that regular cyclists live on average 2 years longer takes into account those who die young in accidents. If no cyclists died early, then the extra lifespan would be even more.

The average lifespan of any population includes those who die younger and those who live longer - that's what an average is.

Ok, it may not feel like much, if you're put in a position that scares you. But stats are stats, and don't take account of your feelings.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Well I road into work today. I shan't be doing it again, however beautiful it was at 6:30am this morning. The shower and changing facilites are however top class.

But about 8 miles in, an on coming car, car approaching FAST from behind, no sign of car coming up behind slowing despite me looking back several times and putting in some well timed wobbles. The driver then drove straight at me deliberately swerving away at the last second at about 70mph. I shouted some choice words in fright at him and gave him the coffee shaker signal. He slammed on his brakes ahead. I stood on the pedals to catch him up. As I got near he set off slowly then slammed on his brakes again. He was giving me all the offensive hand signals. This continued about 3 times until he realised that perhaps if he did actually get out his van he would likley NEVER get back in as he saw how angry I was. He then cleared off. Registration S987 DGH a white Vauxhall car van. Driver white, approx 60 years, fat. Looked like a painter and decorator but no sign writing on his van.

Then coming home having left work 4;30pm riding through urban Peterborough the front seat pasenger in a new shape Vauxhall Nova screamed "C*NT!" out the car window at me. I had been eyeballing the car coming up behind, but it was still a bit of shock. Again I stood on the pedals. The occupants leant out making all the usual offensive gestures and shouting obscenities. But the chavs did not stop. Luckily for them, as I feel I would have taken them apart had they done so. Then about 2 minutes later along the same stretch of road a fat b1tch in a black Vauxhall Vectra tried to pass me with oncoming traffic so squeezing me to the pavement. She got a piece of my mind which resulted in all the knuckle dragging scum raising their already dangling arms into single digit salutes.

Nope commuting by bike is not for me. There are far too many ignorant dangerous scum behind the steering wheels of vehicles to risk it. Hitler had the right idea, but targetted the wrong peoples.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Yes it does. The statistic showing that regular cyclists live on average 2 years longer takes into account those who die young in accidents. If no cyclists died early, then the extra lifespan would be even more.

The average lifespan of any population includes those who die younger and those who live longer - that's what an average is.

Ok, it may not feel like much, if you're put in a position that scares you. But stats are stats, and don't take account of your feelings.

Oh pee off with your patronising incorrect argument and pollute some one else's thread with your ignorance.

Top Bottom