New job locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
Seeing as it's in a town centre, are there no public multi storey car parks nearby? Most modern one's have cycle facilities with cctv

Get a chain and lock from these folk, I use one on my motorbike absolutly awesome. The weak part will be what you chain it to,.
www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=64&sort=p.price&order=DESC

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Seeing as it's in a town centre, are there no public multi storey car parks nearby? Most modern one's have cycle facilities with cctv
Its kind of outskirts and about a mile up a steep hill from any nearby multistoreys, though they arent modern and have no bike parking as far as Im aware. (I live in a town thats stuck 20 years behind most places)

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Get a chain and lock from these folk, I use one on my motorbike absolutly awesome. The weak part will be what you chain it to,.
www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=64&sort=p.price&order=DESC

Are these suitable for bikes? I had a look at these and the pragmasis ones and read on one of the websites they dont reccomend it because it doesnt fit through the wheels on most bikes. If it does though, happy days.
Also, what sort of length would you think? Noose or no noose?

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
This is the situation I have going on at my work. I am the only biker so they didn't feel it was feasible to have a parking area, and my boss vetoed my suggestion to let me bring it inside. My D lock is a larger one (an OnGuard which is nice) but still wouldn't fit around the guardrail and my bike so I loop the cable lock around it and through the wheel, and fasten it through the D lock that also goes around the other wheel and frame. It isn't ideal, but I figure it would still take time to get through both locks and since it is in a noticeable area that would be a bit more of a deterrent. I am thinking of getting a large motorcycle chain to keep at work with a heavy duty padlock or second D lock to fasten it.

hoopdriver

Guru
Are these suitable for bikes? I had a look at these and the pragmasis ones and read on one of the websites they dont reccomend it because it doesnt fit through the wheels on most bikes. If it does though, happy days.
Also, what sort of length would you think? Noose or no noose?
I have Pragmasis chains on my bicycles - they and Almax are probably the ultimate - and they most certainly can be can be used on bicycles. They make the chains in varying thicknesses, from 11mm on up. All are heavy, and very sturdy. The 11mm and 13mm can be cut by bolt cutters (ain’t easy) but the 16mm and up cannot be. Apparently testers have broken 42-inch bolt cutters trying.

The 16mm is pretty much the size and weight limit that is appropriate for bicycles. They do make still thicker chains 19mm and 22mm but these are for motorcycles, trailers, mobile homes etc. and would probably damage a bicycle by their sheer weight. I have a 13mm and a 16mm chain on mine. In terms of using the 16mm chain, I’ve got that one holding down two bikes, one of which is an expedition tourer with 48-spoke wheels. I can thread the 16mm chain through even those wheels, although it is a bit of a fiddle. You can thread it through a 36-spoke wheel quite easily. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
I have Pragmasis chains on my bicycles - they and Almax are probably the ultimate - and they most certainly can be can be used on bicycles. They make the chains in varying thicknesses, from 11mm on up. All are heavy, and very sturdy. The 11mm and 13mm can be cut by bolt cutters (ain’t easy) but the 16mm and up cannot be. Apparently testers have broken 42-inch bolt cutters trying.

The 16mm is pretty much the size and weight limit that is appropriate for bicycles. They do make still thicker chains 19mm and 22mm but these are for motorcycles, trailers, mobile homes etc. and would probably damage a bicycle by their sheer weight. I have a 13mm and a 16mm chain on mine. In terms of using the 16mm chain, I’ve got that one holding down two bikes, one of which is an expedition tourer with 48-spoke wheels. I can thread the 16mm chain through even those wheels, although it is a bit of a fiddle. You can thread it through a 36-spoke wheel quite easily. I hope this helps.

Helps very much. Im thinking I might get a 1.2m noose 13mm chain with the roundlock. Then Im hoping i can noose around the front wheel and frame, around the railing and d lock through the other end of the chain to lock the rear wheel and frame again.

Should also be able to just move the sleeve down a bit, ignore the noose ring and use it like a normal chain I think? Hopefully.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Your employer employs YOU to do whatever job they pay you to do. They don't employ your bike!
It's not their problem how you choose to travel to work, whether you ride or drive. Be grateful they will allow you to bring your bike/car/whatever on to their premises during work time. They could easily just tell you to leave it outside on the street instead. If the parking facilities are "basic" then ride a low-value bike to work that can be safely locked using a less secure method. The "I've got a really nice/expensive bike, therefore I expect to be provided with fancy secure parking at work" attitude astonishes me.
That attitude belongs to the 19th century (no, not the 20th). These days, employers are expected to take reasonable measures to support their employees health and fitness, in recognition of the fact that they spend a large proportion of their lives at work, and if the employers are unhappy, productivity suffers. If your employer really holds the attitude you described, I feel sympathy for you.

That attitude belongs to the 19th century (no, not the 20th). These days, employers are expected to take reasonable measures to support their employees health and fitness, in recognition of the fact that they spend a large proportion of their lives at work, and if the employers are unhappy, productivity suffers. If your employer really holds the attitude you described, I feel sympathy for you.

Its not sympathy I feel for people like that. My feelings are much more foreboding if im honest.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Woop woop!
Heath and safety alert.

You can't bring that thing in here and put it under your desk. Someone might get killed.

Last 3 places I've worked I've asked if I can stow a Brommie under my desk. Flat no in all 3 cases. Far too dangerous.
Bit silly to ask. Just do it and act like it's obviously OK. Social engineering at work.

Top Bottom