New Kettle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My cheapo plastic Breville kettle is BPA-free apparently. I'll have one of these to celebrate

upload_2019-7-8_12-54-24.png

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I had my Morphy Richards about 7 years until it simply got too grubby inside. Just because somehthing is cheap doesnt mean its rubbish.
Cant really see how a £100 kettle can boil water any better than a £30 kettle, maybe its just me.
:whistle:

I want a nice kettle, £100 for well designed item that might last many years is a sum of money that is totally inconsequential to me, and I'd wager for most people on here, it's not as if I am getting a million quid kettle. Sorry I dissed your kettle.

That's cos they're not better. You're paying for the design and the brand name. The basic workings of a kettle are beyond simple. That's fine, but anyone buying a £100 kettle and trying to claim it's somehow "better" is talking nonsense. It may be nicer, prettier, more aspirational...but not better

Of course some are better. Better top, better hinges, better (faster) elements, better handles. I looked at a Smeg, it was about £160, even I baulked at that but it had some good features, I can recall a setting to keep the the water hot for 20 mins, no re-boiling and it looked and felt like the cost. Whenever I buy anything cheap, I always seem to regret it.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I want a nice kettle, £100 for well designed item that might last many years is a sum of money that is totally inconsequential to me, and I'd wager for most people on here, it's not as if I am getting a million quid kettle. Sorry I dissed your kettle.

And I thought I was daft buying some imported from America at £23 just for the P&P' 75 quid trainers!! At least I might get the desired "wow,look at those" remarks about them,but a kettle ain't gonna get such remarks Mark! Unless you use it outside and let folk see it of course.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Not sleeping well until I know what you chose.
But it’s okay: I can make myself a calming herb tea with my Bosch, and no worries about scalding the leaves with too-hot water.

I am holiday, Dalyman, kettle browsing on my tablet mostly. I'll let you know next week if you can hold on.:okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I want a nice kettle, £100 for well designed item that might last many years is a sum of money that is totally inconsequential to me, and I'd wager for most people on here, it's not as if I am getting a million quid kettle.

Speaking as a lifelong tightwad I have to say that I wouldn't dream of spending anything like that on a kettle. I don't think any kettle is much better than many others. Certainly not four times better. I wouldn't buy an £8 kettle. I'm not an idiot. But I'd do some homework and find out how much I have to pay to get something that will do the job properly and reliably, and look for one around that price that looks ok. I think I did something along those lines to arrive at:

upload_2019-7-16_1-10-29.png

Barely north of £20, and it melds classic style with modern functionality. It says so, so it must be true. (I wonder what modern functionality is? "I want this water boiled, and I want it boiled in the modern way. Not the old fashioned way. The modern way.")

Anyway, that was about four years ago, and it gets used & abused on a daily basis in a busy kitchen, and it's never missed a trick. Boiled water sir? Certainly sir! What more can you ask?

Each to his own, but £100 seems a lot for a kettle. (Not to mention £499.95, which I have to say strikes me as obscene.)

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My cheapo plastic Breville kettle is BPA-free apparently. I'll have one of these to celebrate

View attachment 474530

Me too!

46C8EC91-037E-4109-A78C-D0D753780D6B.jpeg

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
If that same kettle, plastic handle, wobbly switch, thin plastic lid, horrible spout/body interface was branded "Crap Kettle Inc" would anybody pay £22.99 for it? It might well be on sale under another moniker far cheaper...instead it's got Russell Hobbs tacked on it to give British buyers some faux reassurance that they may be buying a decent mid range appliance.

Not having it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If that same kettle, plastic handle, wobbly switch, thin plastic lid, horrible spout/body interface was branded "Crap Kettle Inc" would anybody pay £22.99 for it? It might well be on sale under another moniker far cheaper...instead it's got Russell Hobbs tacked on it to give British buyers some faux reassurance that they may be buying a decent mid range appliance.

Not having it.
1) Um...how do you know the switch is wobbly? 2) Kenwood, not Russell Hobbs, not that it makes a difference, but... 3) Having owned it for four years, a decent mid range appliance is exactly what it is. My point in a nutshell. You want to pay eighty quid for a thicker lid, knock yourself out. Like I say, seems daft to me. What do you actually want, end of the day? Me, the answer's 'boiling water'. Other answers clearly differ...

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
1) Um...how do you know the switch is wobbly? 2) Kenwood, not Russell Hobbs, not that it makes a difference, but... 3) Having owned it for four years, a decent mid range appliance is exactly what it is. My point in a nutshell. You want to pay eighty quid for a thicker lid, knock yourself out. Like I say, seems daft to me. What do you actually want, end of the day? Me, the answer's 'boiling water'. Other answers clearly differ...

I want a "quality" kettle, l said that in my opening post, thus ruling out any cheap ones. No plastic handles, no plastic lid, quality switch and so seam on the spout/body.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I want a "quality" kettle, l said that in my opening post, thus ruling out any cheap ones. No plastic handles, no plastic lid, quality switch and so seam on the spout/body.
I guess the divergence of opinion is based on the fact I see a kettle as a utilitarian item. So long as it looks like a kettle and boils water I'm happy. As such my £25 kettle meets my requirements (and has done for several years without wobbly swiches etc) and the additional £55 for an £80 kettle is a waste of money in my eyes. It isn't a waste in your eyes and that's why kettles come in a range of prices

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a kettle from Aldi 2 years ago,along with a matching toaster,both for about 12 quid. The kettle's still going strong. The toaster blew up, but that was my fault as I tried to fry poppadums in it. Kettles are for boiling water. That's what my kettle does perfectly well. Am I missing something? :scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I bought a kettle from Aldi 2 years ago,along with a matching toaster,both for about 12 quid. The kettle's still going strong. The toaster blew up, but that was my fault as I tried to fry poppadums in it. Kettles are for boiling water. That's what my kettle does perfectly well. Am I missing something? :scratch:

Yep, an appreciation of a well designed and engineered appliance.^_^

I said I wouldn't but I went back to Dualit...........Dawsons in Skipton had a sale on.....it's the Eucalyptus model. It's metal, not manky plastic, it doesn't have a horrible flange at the spout/body interface like a cheap metal kettle, but a neat recessed joint. Steel handle with a silicone insert which is what I was looking for, fast boiling, well hinged lid and...............................anti wobble feet.^_^ The filter is removable for washing and the element easily available for DIY replacement, the toaster & kettle can be passed down, when the day comes.............

Am I 100% happy with it? Nope. The power switch looks chromed metal, but is plastic, grrrrrr.

44809-cvjk13-3q-eucalyptus-web.jpg

A microwave next.:okay:

Top Bottom