New Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Got mine two weeks ago - it's fabulous! As I reach the capacity of the latest bookcase I got earlier this year, and have almost no more space in the flat to add any more, it's a timely purchase.

I'll still no doubt pick up books in charity shops (since I can't help it!), but all new purchases will be Kindle-based. Given that some books are available for as little as 2 or 3 quid, that's about the price I'd pay in the Edinburgh charity shops these days for a second-hand book.

What I really like too is the 'sample' ability you get from Amazon where you see a book on the site you like the look of, click 'Sample' and within seconds you get a chapter or two delivered to your Kindle to read. Just like going into a bookshop and reading a bit of a book to see if it's worth buying. Then when you finish the sample, you can click a button buy the book instantly.

Trouble is, the temptation to buy can be great at times and you end up splurging on more books than you need....

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Collected it this morning - not had tme to 'check it works' as it's got to go away until my son's birthday.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Had a play whilst the kids were at drama...... gonna have to watch the 'buy' button - too easy........... :eek:

Wife now having a play......kids in bed..............;)

soulful dog

Veteran
Never really been interested in e-books, but I quite like the look of that..... though most of my books tend to be from the library and I only buy books occasionally, so it's not really going to be worth my while if I've got to buy them all - as well as paying out £100 for the system. Which means I'll probably stick to actual books for a while longer!

ASC1951

Guru
Given that some books are available for as little as 2 or 3 quid, that's about the price I'd pay in the Edinburgh charity shops these days for a second-hand book.
You're being robbed. Down here in God's Own County, the going rate is 99p.

There is also the serendipitous benefit of buying from the hospice shop - when I shop at Amazon or Smiths, I tend to buy only what I know I will enjoy.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
You're being robbed. Down here in God's Own County, the going rate is 99p.

There is also the serendipitous benefit of buying from the hospice shop - when I shop at Amazon or Smiths, I tend to buy only what I know I will enjoy.

They used to be cheap, then they cottoned on to the fact that they were selling more 2nd-hand books than anything else, so they all whacked the prices up to make more dosh for their respective charities.

You do get the odd shop that sells them cheaper (I know one which is the shop they send all the books to that haven't sold in their other shops, so they're bargain basement. Picked up lots of brand new, recent titles in their once for 50p each. Bargaintastic!)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Plenty of out of copyright books for free on the Kindle...loads................. son is looking forward to reading the classic kids books.

Top Bottom