New Lad From County Durham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jazz

Regular
Now then everyone!

I'm Jazz from County Durham (England ~ Not sure how far across the world this forum stretches :smile:)

I'm 22 and the only riding experience I have is when I used to go out with my mates in my early teens - nothing professional. So I'm not very clued up on bikes, but I'm no stranger to forums, I find them really useful for my cars so I thought this would be a good step for me to get into the world of biking around!

My reason for joining is that I have been trying to get in to better shape in the past year and I've done all right losing weight, just not getting fit. My brother was recently given a bike and was asked if he'd do coast to coast at some point, and in turn I was asked. So in brief, I know little about bikes, but I have the enthusiasm to get trained up to do coast to coast, or at least a massive chunk of it!!!

Anyway I have some questions so I'll go post them in the relevant section!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :cheers:

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Cheers!! Aye I'll do the lot like! I know it'll take some training and preparation, I'll start with the 11 mile commute and build up! :smile:

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
So I wasn't daft by specifying that County Durham is in England then! Haha class!

Well I hope I get into cycling - it looks canny, although I am not sure I'll turn into someone who spends ridiculous amounts of money on it! I've posted a thread in the beginners section if any of you could kindly state there (or here if you fancy) what type of kit (clothing & repair) I would need for the commute as well as coast to coast. I have already pretty much decided I am going to go for the Scott Aspect 30 - my local bike shop is doing the disc brake one for £500 which I can't find a better deal online.

John_c

Welcome to the forum, great friendly bunch on here.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Cheers for the welcomes! Aye it seems everyone is friendly so far like! I'm keen on learning everybody's style of biking so I can compare it to what I'm planning - for buying the same kit & that.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Hi and welcome yoi dont need to spend a massive amount of money on kit, just ask and the good people on this forum can guide you in the right direction, rather than buying something that may not be suitable for what you need it to do..... Anyways good luck with the getting fit bit and and your future planned rides

theloafer

Legendary Member
Well I hope I get into cycling - it looks canny, although I am not sure I'll turn into someone who spends ridiculous amounts of money on it!.
HA ha famous last words:laugh:
i remember saying that years ago ...:laugh: was up to 5 bikes but now back down to 3 :thumbsup:it dose creep up on you mind :whistle:...i would start saving now :welcome:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Hi Jazz, a few of us from the northeast here. When you are out and about there is a new cycleworld just opened in the market square in chester-le-street and infinity cycles are worth a look too.
I do a bit of training in the Durham area because of the sharp climbs. I find it tougher than Northumberland.
Have fun.

Top Bottom