New Leeds Castleford Cycleway?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
https://www.pontefractandcastleford...tween-leeds-and-castleford-approved-1-9580002

Planning approved apparently, but few details and not even a map.
Could be a nice leisure route, but I'm not sure how many commuters it would attract.
Also slightly concerned that I can't find much more about it online, other than references to the dreaded "cycling / walking route"...?

Let's hope the implementation is a sight better than the CSH that City Connect built in Leeds.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
To connect Castleford to Leeds and eventually Wakefield would be great providing a (mostly, I presume) off-road cycling and walking route. The stumbling block I see is the need for the bridge mentioned in the article. Bridges cost money, who would foot the bill? That question could keep the route incomplete for a long time which would be a shame.

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Didn't Leeds Council pay for / give Sustrans a huge amount of cash to build a bridge over the Aire somewhere down that way to link into Temple Newsam / NCN R66 a few years ago?

In fact, they did - this one cost a cool half million quid: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-ser...ture/skelton-bridge-linking-communities-leeds - is this a different bridge?

Looking at those plans (thanks for the link @kynikos ) it looks like that section of the route is firmly being targeted at leisure cyclists out for a pootle on a shared path rather than commuters or anyone out to get anywhere at a decent pace.

I've got to admit that I assumed that you'd already be able to go from Leeds city centre to Castleford on the canal towpath anyway?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah I hear they were working out approach velocities and ramp angles required to jump the gap.
There's a place on Route 11 north of Cambridge like that, where you have a choice between carrying up steps to a footbridge and riding up a ramp and trying to jump the drain. "Cock up bridge" they call it, but apparently that predates the missing bridge farce.

Venod

Eh up
I've got to admit that I assumed that you'd already be able to go from Leeds city centre to Castleford on the canal towpath anyway?

Yes you can indeed cycle from Leeds to Cas on the canal, a ride I have done on numerous occasions in both directions, they have done a lot of work at the Leeds end with new bridges and rerouting from the south to the North of the river at one point.
The bad part is there are still steps to negotiate from one side of Canal to the other just east of Twaite Mills, the old Skelton Grange Power Station Road, a solution would be to carry on through Twaite Mills.
There is a short cycle track from Castleford to Whitwood (old railway) this is where a bridge is proposed to cross the railway and join up with Cas to Wakefield track, an old bridge over the River Calder has recently been surfaced and opened, but is very rough at the other side to Methley.

Garethleeds

To connect Castleford to Leeds and eventually Wakefield would be great providing a (mostly, I presume) off-road cycling and walking route. The stumbling block I see is the need for the bridge mentioned in the article. Bridges cost money, who would foot the bill? That question could keep the route incomplete for a long time which would be a shame.

I think on twitter I saw this bridge is now in place?

Top Bottom