New Member - Making my bike lighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Shaving 3kg off a bike gives approximately a 20% reduction in bike weight. However it only reduces the bike rider combination by 3%. Therefore I agree with the posters who have advised to loose body weight.

OP
OP
H

Harry1

Regular
Hi Harry, I've got a KMC x11 SL chain as you suggested, thanks for that. I don't mind spending money on it if I can get my bike lighter. I've also cut down my seat post so its only as long as it needs to be. I spoke to someone yesterday who even switched to vented grub screws when he changed some parts on his bike!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Check your saddle weight. It's surprising how heavy some are. Have you got the lightest pedals?

OP
OP
H

Harry1

Regular
Check your saddle weight. It's surprising how heavy some are.
My saddle seat is 260g, I'm thinking of getting a Selle Italia Seat. I'm not sure why some seats are classed as 'road only' saddles. Is it just because it doesn't have as much cushioning? Thanks

youngoldbloke

My saddle seat is 260g, I'm thinking of getting a Selle Italia Seat. I'm not sure why some seats are classed as 'road only' saddles. Is it just because it doesn't have as much cushioning? Thanks
260 gms isn't bad, you'll find a lot of the Selle Italia saddles are around that. I'd consider 200gm and below to be light weight - but they will tend to be heavy on the wallet. No idea why some are 'road only'. Different position on bike to MTB? Marketing?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not if you only weigh 65 kilos.

Most riders have got plenty of headroom for body weight reduction, before they start obsessing about a couple of ounces here and there on their bike. Take a look at the size and shape of the average adult! I'll start thinking about bike weight when I've got from 200 lbs down to 190 lbs or under. The truth of the matter is that getting out that little plastic card and draining your bank account is way less effort than body weight loss! It is not a logical route to take for anyone who has not already achieved an optimum weight for their height/build.

youngoldbloke

Takes all sorts. I need all the help I can get! Could loose a pound or two I agree, but faced with the choice (edit) of equipment/accessories I'd pick the lighter, all things being equal. (61 kg and falling)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The most effective way of lightening the load...

Eat less. Every pound lost there is worth 3 or 4 off the bike, so the performance gains are notable.

Conversely, losing a couple of hundred grams off the bike is liable to not even bring noticeable returns.

A size or two thinner tyres - this is counter intuitive on a CX, but the reduced surface area means you'll be carrying less mud and clag, and that'll save you more weight than any other modifications are liable to. Even better, because the mud is rotational mass a saving here is very valuable.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Most riders have got plenty of headroom for body weight reduction, before they start obsessing about a couple of ounces here and there on their bike. Take a look at the size and shape of the average adult! I'll start thinking about bike weight when I've got from 200 lbs down to 190 lbs or under. The truth of the matter is that getting out that little plastic card and draining your bank account is way less effort than body weight loss! It is not a logical route to take for anyone who has not already achieved an optimum weight for their height/build.
190lbs is still 86kg (200 is 91kg or thereabouts), so someway off 65kg...I don't think a -20kg bike exists, maybe in space?

Top Bottom