New Member - Making my bike lighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
190lbs is still 86kg (200 is 91kg or thereabouts), so someway off 65kg...I don't think a -20kg bike exists, maybe in space?

I haven't weighed 65kg since I was a kid. I'd turn into a skinny weakling if I tried to get down to that level of weight as a grown adult, if it was even physically possible without making oneself ill through starvation. I would regard somewhere between 185 lbs and 190 lbs to be the optimum range, lose excess fat without losing any muscular weight.

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't weighed 65kg since I was a kid. I'd turn into a skinny weakling if I tried to get down to that level of weight as a grown adult, if it was even physically possible without making oneself ill through starvation. I would regard somewhere between 185 lbs and 190 lbs to be the optimum range, lose excess fat without losing any muscular weight.
I think @derrick was saying he’s 65kg

screenman

Legendary Member
The most effective way of lightening the load...

Eat less. Every pound lost there is worth 3 or 4 off the bike, so the performance gains are notable.

Conversely, losing a couple of hundred grams off the bike is liable to not even bring noticeable returns.

A size or two thinner tyres - this is counter intuitive on a CX, but the reduced surface area means you'll be carrying less mud and clag, and that'll save you more weight than any other modifications are liable to. Even better, because the mud is rotational mass a saving here is very valuable.

Trouble is go too thin and they cut into the mud deeper. I would suggest get fitter and more aero.

Top Bottom