New Men’s Marathon World Record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: absolutely no chance, Nike and Adidas have invested for too much into them, so bribing a few world athletics officials to ensure they aren't banned is small change.

Whilst the bribery allegation seems a little paranoid, I have no doubt that Nike and Adidas are investing heavily in PR and lobbying to ensure that the technology isn't banned, pointing to technology advance and trickle-down benefits.

The real problems are in defining and policing the ban. Easy for sock length in cycling and full length swimsuits. Are the commissaires going to butcher every shoe from the race top 3 to look for what is inside the sole? Or have a rebound / stiffness measuring machine for pre-race scrutineering?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Whilst the bribery allegation seems a little paranoid, I have no doubt that Nike and Adidas are investing heavily in PR and lobbying to ensure that the technology isn't banned, pointing to technology advance and trickle-down benefits.

The real problems are in defining and policing the ban. Easy for sock length in cycling and full length swimsuits. Are the commissaires going to butcher every shoe from the race top 3 to look for what is inside the sole? Or have a rebound / stiffness measuring machine for pre-race scrutineering?

the current rules means they can only wear commercially available shoes and some other guidelines (although there is some get around for prototypes of something coming available) hence your £400 a pop running trainers, with rocker-ed soles (there is some restriction on the shape and size of rocker) that definitely make athletes faster than "conventional" running shoes. less fatigue inducing I think which is why they long distance boys and girls like them

I think the rules have a maximum depth of sole to them so that would be a pretty easy way to tell.

Jameshow

Veteran
the current rules means they can only wear commercially available shoes and some other guidelines (although there is some get around for prototypes of something coming available) hence your £400 a pop running trainers, with rocker-ed soles (there is some restriction on the shape and size of rocker) that definitely make athletes faster than "conventional" running shoes. less fatigue inducing I think which is why they long distance boys and girls like them

Sorry kids no food this month dad's brought some trainers!!🤣🤣🤣

bitsandbobs

Über Member

Not sure that Nike needs to do much lobbying these days. It could just threaten to withdraw it's sponsorship which would pretty much kill track and field.

Nike peeps are just everywhere in the administration and reporting of the sport. Seb Coe only reluctantly gave up his Nike dosh when he became head of IAAF. Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe are sponsored by Nike, so you'll not see any sensible discussion of its influence or technology on the BBC by them. And that's just the UK. Current president of US Track and Field is a Nike man, for example.

And in any event, not sure exactly why this should be so controversial. Loads of sports admit technological innovation. Why not track and field?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not sure that Nike needs to do much lobbying these days. It could just threaten to withdraw it's sponsorship which would pretty much kill track and field.

Nike peeps are just everywhere in the administration and reporting of the sport. Seb Coe only reluctantly gave up his Nike dosh when he became head of IAAF. Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe are sponsored by Nike, so you'll not see any sensible discussion of its influence or technology on the BBC by them. And that's just the UK. Current president of US Track and Field is a Nike man, for example.

And in any event, not sure exactly why this should be so controversial. Loads of sports admit technological innovation. Why not track and field?

The beauty of track and field is the lack of technology. It’s sport at its most basic.

There clearly have to be some parameters for acceptable innovation. Can you imagine high jumpers or long jumpers with huge springs in their shoes.

Jameshow

Veteran

No carbon fibre please, steel is real!!

I can't even cycle at that pace, never mind run... :wacko:

These shoes remind me somewhat of Group B homologation for rallying in the mid 1980s - the manufacturers had to make 200 examples to sell to the public in order to be able to use the cars in competition. And Group B eventually crashed and burned (literally in some cases) because the cars became too powerful / hard to control.

Eventually, there will come a point where a human just won't be able to handle the shoes - injury, long term physiological damage, that sort of thing.

Technology is great. Until it ruins the sport it's meant to improve.

Top Bottom