New Men’s Marathon World Record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Berlin 2024 could be the one. It has a history of fast times.

stephec

Legendary Member
Look at how tight the margins are, just under a second less per kilometre and it would've been under two hours.

Drago

Legendary Member
Astonishing, just astonishing.

Interesting that a lot of these top flight boys are Kenyan or Ethiopian. Do you think its anything to do with having been born and raised and used to altitude, and then performing better in the thicker, more oxygen rich air at lower altitudes? Or am I talking bollards?

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Interesting that a lot of these top flight boys are Kenyan or Ethiopian. Do you think its anything to do with having been born and raised and used to altitude, and then performing better in the thicker, more oxygen rich air at lower altitudes? Or am I talking bollards?

There are definitely physiological adaptions those born and living at altitude have compared to us low landers. Been seen in the Sherpas in Nepal as well. Adaptions we will never get.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Of course it’s genetics and geography.
If you ever see these guys up close they are so slight that you’d think a puff of wind would blow them over.
There a tribes in that part of Africa which will run down deer and antelope over days. They know they can’t win a sprint race so will just keep jogging them down until the animal is exhausted.

Jameshow

Veteran
Was he paced as the video I saw had Pacers were they from the start or replaced?

Amazing run from a relatively unknown runner!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
How about sub-2 hours from a Frenchman on home turf at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games? Chariots of Fire sequel.
Maybe a native of Saint-Véran, France's highest settlement with a school, at 2,042m. The one kid who couldn't stand skiing.

Last edited:
Was he paced as the video I saw had Pacers were they from the start or replaced?

Amazing run from a relatively unknown runner!

Any pacemakers will have been with him from the start and he will have dropped them at some stage along the route. For a valid world record you are not allowed to bring in fresh pacemakers later in the run.

Eliud Kipchoge has run a 1:59:40 marathon in the INEOS 1:59 Challenge but this doesn’t count as a world record for a number of reasons. One of which was how fresh pacers were used.

Tenkaykev

Guru
There are definitely physiological adaptions those born and living at altitude have compared to us low landers. Been seen in the Sherpas in Nepal as well. Adaptions we will never get.

Yes, and interestingly the peoples living at altitude in South America developed a different physiological adaption to those living at altitude in Africa.
When I was a reasonable club runner we used to do 400 metre reps. It was sobering to realise that my " eyeballs out" 400metres wasn't quite as fast as the elites Marathon pace!

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, and interestingly the peoples living at altitude in South America developed a different physiological adaption to those living at altitude in Africa.
When I was a reasonable club runner we used to do 400 metre reps. It was sobering to realise that my " eyeballs out" 400metres wasn't quite as fast as the elites Marathon pace!

I'll give you a 60sec lap tomorrow night ...!! 🤣🤣🤣

markemark

Über Member

It's nuts. They're running 100m in 17seconds. Granted, not from stationary, but that's still faster than most non-athletes could do. And they're doing 420 of them back to back

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

In his world record he ran 4 mins 18 seconds for his 22nd mile. I could not get anywhere near that for just one mile in my school days.

Top Bottom