New Met Office weather map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, I know that some of you don't like/use the Met Office forecasts!

For those of us who DO... I just went on to check the forecast for my forum ride tomorrow and noticed that they are trialling new weather map software. The map used to update with very big steps so it was not easy to see exactly what would be happening. The new system works in 15 minute steps. If the map is set to auto-increment then you can watch weather systems blow over (or sit on!) the area(s) of interest. It looks a big improvement to me.

Give it a go HERE. (You can pan/zoom the map to an area that interests you. Click the PLAY button in the bottom left, to start the animation.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The intervals do increase on subsequent days!

Brandane

Legendary Member
The software might have changed. Pity the weather is just the same as always :rolleyes:....

Screenshot_20221021-213052_Chrome.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I find the Met Office's app quite accurate for hour-by-hour forecast.
The temperatures stated, though, are usually a couple of Celsius higher than in reality.
Maybe because they mean air temperature, while I'm interested in ground temperature for my early morning commute - take the heavy ice bike or not, is the question :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The intervals do increase on subsequent days!
Ah, but if you go back to the past then it updates at 5 minute intervals, presumably showing what actually happened? It certainly shows the heavy rain that we had yesterday.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I use a window before I leave and pack waterproofs accordingly.

I use a window before I leave, then abandon any plans to ride a bike 😄.

PS.. What are these waterproofs of which you speak? I've yet to find anything suitable for cycling in which keeps me dry for more than 10 minutes. Even the heavy weight supposedly waterproof goretex gear from my motorcycling days is no match for our weather.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I like the new map it's more informative with the shorter time spacing.
I find the Met Office forecasts the best but not infallible, I have put rides off because they have forecast rain, and it stayed dry, curiously I have never got wet unexpectedly following their forecast.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I use a window before I leave and pack waterproofs accordingly.
It is nice to have advance notice of this kind of event, which I saw absolutely no sign of by the 'window test', or even the 'riding around in sunsine test'!!!

I once got caught in a freak summer deluge and the water temperature was the polar opposite of that of a power shower - North or South Polar! In 10 seconds I went from dripping sweat to shivering so violently that I could no longer ride my bike. The rain only lasted a minute or two, then the black clouds rolled away and within minutes I was too hot again!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been using 'weather&radar' app for the past few years. Does the same thing. I've found the rain radar usually very accurate.

Top Bottom