New Met Office weather map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
I use a window before I leave, then abandon any plans to ride a bike 😄.

PS.. What are these waterproofs of which you speak? I've yet to find anything suitable for cycling in which keeps me dry for more than 10 minutes. Even the heavy weight supposedly waterproof goretex gear from my motorcycling days is no match for our weather.

All depends upon how much you want to pay. Were up at Kinlochewe ( torrential rain at times ) in the cafe, a motorcyclist was having a rant about his gear being useless. Said how much his waterproof bike suit was and another said I am dry but my gloves cost more than your wet gear.

Good winter cycling gear is expensive, some say Zwift and turbo is a cheaper option and you can't fall off . The weather forecast around Glasgow is usually good but sometimes the timing is all wrong. Last week down at Largs , said rain 5pm on but it was 2 hours early, a wet cycle home.

newts

Veteran
Cycling out of Exeter in any direction you can encounter many small weather pockets which the met office app is usually very accurate with, much better than the overly pessimistic BBC weather app.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Zwift and turbo is a cheaper option
Best not to go there as it provokes some debate from it's fans, but IMO it's an aid to fitness, it's NOT cycling :okay:.

Last week down at Largs
That's where I am. It's hardly stopped raining for weeks now, and the wind.... :rolleyes:

All depends upon how much you want to pay.
I have goretex cycling stuff which was not cheap, but nothing is going to stop water eventually getting in around your collar. As for Aldi or Army surplus @Old Hippy , no way is that going to be breathable, in which case you are going to boil in the bag and be just as wet from sweat as you would be from rain. Maybe ok in areas with no hills so you can just back off on the effort, but I don't have that option.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Best not to go there as it provokes some debate from it's fans, but IMO it's an aid to fitness, it's NOT cycling :okay:.

That's where I am. It's hardly stopped raining for weeks now, and the wind.... :rolleyes:

I have goretex cycling stuff which was not cheap, but nothing is going to stop water eventually getting in around your collar. As for Aldi or Army surplus @Old Hippy , no way is that going to be breathable, in which case you are going to boil in the bag and be just as wet from sweat as you would be from rain. Maybe ok in areas with no hills so you can just back off on the effort, but I don't have that option.

I am stick sized so have to work very hard to get that hot, also light weight walking trousers dry quickly so not really bothered getting wet in the first place and can easily just lob dry stuff in the saddlebag if it is really wet.

tom73

Guru
Cycling out of Exeter in any direction you can encounter many small weather pockets which the met office app is usually very accurate with, much better than the overly pessimistic BBC weather app.

Only to be expected it's the met offices back yard after all ;)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Wettest October on record in Renfrewshire. And it's not as if it's normally a good month! Been utterly manky weather; wind has hardly let up either. Not seen many cyclists out and about.

Top Bottom