New Neighbours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It always takes a while for new neighbours to sort out routines and understand the nuances of an area, so first off give them a chance, think of it as training someone - lots of positive re-inforcement. Any negative stuff will have the opposite effect to what you want.

At the same time be assertive about the parking right from the off. Expalin again, the parking issues and considerations, try and do it as part of another conversation.

And finally, chill slightly. If the parking isn't ideal but isn't a problem, don't make it one. Conflict is often bourne out of not knowing someone. Get to know them, let them get to know you. Keep that Welsh dragon in hand Plax :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
It always takes a while for new neighbours to sort out routines and understand the nuances of an area, so first off give them a chance, think of it as training someone - lots of positive re-inforcement. Any negative stuff will have the opposite effect to what you want.

At the same time be assertive about the parking right from the off. Expalin again, the parking issues and considerations, try and do it as part of another conversation.

And finally, chill slightly. If the parking isn't ideal but isn't a problem, don't make it one. Conflict is often bourne out of not knowing someone. Get to know them, let them get to know you. Keep that Welsh dragon in hand Plax :rolleyes:

I'll do my best! I have behaved so far. I don't know why it winds me up so much, it seems to be one of the few things that does. I'm not so bad now as I was in the past, probably because I tend to cycle a lot now so don't use the car everyday. I need to use the car tonight so I'll go round and have a chat (and tell them the bin men are coming in the morning!).

I think it's because I percieve it as taking liberties and a lack of consideration. One neighbour used to have a friend that came visiting who would ask me if it was ok to park in front of my drive. I used to be fine with this if I wasn't going anywhere. He asked which was the main thing. In my non cycling days If he had just parked in front of the drive and wandered off for a few hours I'd have probably flipped (Cycling is a good way of de-stressing I find, and this board is a good way of getting things into perspective!).

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
Sorry Plax, but they appear to have left you plenty of room there, as far as I can see.

If you call 3-4 inches either side plenty of room. Of course I haven't gone so far as to measure the gap :ohmy:.
It's not so much getting out as I always reverse in, it's the getting back in again afterwards.
Other people might be happy to accept this long term, but I'm not. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile as they say (or is it yard?).
Why should my life be made harder, just so theirs can be made easier? They've purchased a property knowing there is inadequate parking, and they have two jolly big cars to boot. I might start posting adverts for hatchbacks through their letter box :tongue:.

Alcdrew

Plax said:
I might start posting adverts for hatchbacks through their letter box :tongue:.

What you should be doing is telling them to get a bike and trailer:biggrin:

But I can sympathise with you a little, I have new neighbors (well were all new, it's a new house) and since we don't have a car at the moment they have started packing in my space, which annoys the hell out of me, not so much because I mind but just because they haven't asked if it's OK.

Trillian

Plax said:
Maybe I should tell the one with a saloon to get a smaller car. A hatchback would be much more practical, take up less space and they could both park there without overlapping my drive. I mean, who has ever managed to wedge a washing machine, a bike or a canoe in the back of a saloon?

i watched a bloke at cannock get two mountain bikes out of the boot of an old 3 series BMW saloon

with the seat down in a sierra saloon and the front seat down you can get surf boards or a kayak in there.

Trillian

Plax said:
Don't worry I am, I'm just venting on here. Don't want to go in all guns ablazing now do we? Not very constructive to say the least.

Todays's offering. Call me petty but I'm not going to put up with that for however many years they live here just because they were stupid enough to buy a house with no parking and are too lazy to park more considerately further away.

thats not too hard to get in and out of, but any more than that would be a pain or if you were trying to get two cars onto your drive.

who's is the land to the left? could they buy that to put a drive in for one of them?

dodgy

They've overlapped your drive slightly, which I guess is a little annoying. But you've still got bags of space to get in and out if the picture is telling an accurate story.
On balance, I'd rather have a good relationship with my neighbours, I can't see that happening with the way you're feeling at the moment.
Dave.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plax, that isn't bad - you'd get a 4x4 out of that gap easy.... Parking's much worse where I live - you just have to put up with it - take houses designed not to fit two cars on the drives - all the drives have their second car over the pavement, some sticking onto the road - we live in a cul de sac though, with a stupid wiggly designed road - why not straight ?.

The approach to our road often get's double parked as well, and I'm talking an inch or two either side of your wing mirrors - it's tight...

If they really take the 'hiss then have quiet word ! They do seem to be trying to be considerate.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Trillian said:
thats not too hard to get in and out of, but any more than that would be a pain or if you were trying to get two cars onto your drive.

who's is the land to the left? could they buy that to put a drive in for one of them?

That's all mine too. I'd rather not sell it as it'll devalue my house somewhat. I have one day great aspirations to build a bungalow on it and rent my main house out. Very much doubt the council would let me though.:smile:

Tomorrow morning I'll post another picture from on the drive if you like, or immediately in front of it, as It does look like I have bags more room than I do. The drive is wider than the entrance.
The estate driver tends to come home at around 11pm so usually there is only one car there when I've got home and I've managed to reverse fine in as there's been no obstruction. I might be able to compromise if this is always the case (i.e. I'm okay with driving out if he's obstructing, but not if he's obstructing and I have to get back in), but not if I regularly have to struggle to get back in again.

I really don't understand why people think it's fine though. I wouldn't dream of overlapping somebodies drive that much, regardless of whether I thought they had a big enough drive, it's downright rude.

PS I'm impressed the guy got two bikes out of a BMW Saloon. My car before this one was a BMW Saloon (3 series). The seatbelts go from the middle and the back seats couldn't go down. Maybe they've re-designed the newer models to be far less practical, I've never actually been in the older model I think your referring to.

Plax said:
I really don't understand why people think it's fine though. I wouldn't dream of overlapping somebodies drive that much, regardless of whether I thought they had a big enough drive, it's downright rude.

It's not fine Plax. The trouble these days is that people cannot see things from another persons point of view. If I was the car owner who overlapped and you asked me not too, I wouldn't do it, simple. However some people need to be led gently into the light and for the sake of good relations it's worth making the effort. That said, when you find yourself repeating things, time to change tack and lay down the law and the consequences :biggrin:

But try you're feminine charms first :smile:

col

Legendary Member
I agree with the slight overlap of your drive being ignorant,if he approached and asked if it was ok,and you pointed out the problems,it would have been fine,but he didnt,but i would still give him the benefit of the doubt and have a friendly chat sometime,he might not see the problems you face,and may end up being a decent type.
As for my home,its a terraced house in a small street of ten houses,so you can imagine sometimes its impossible to even park in the street,so i cut the back yard wall out,and built two wooden gates,and dropped the floor level,so i had somewhere to put my car in the event this happened,i still havnt put my car in it yet,and its been four years since i did it,i keep saying im going to use it for security,but its too easy just pulling up outside my house.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Our first house was on a terraced street. It was rare that you could park outside your own house. Sometimes, and Sunday evenings were the worst, we had to park a fair way away. It was just one of those things.

I think that might be one of the reasons why some don't see your situation as much of a problem.

That wouldn't bother me you see - if I didn't have a drive and had to park a fair way from the house. It's like that at my dads, he hasn't got anywhere to park outside his, but doesn't turn that into somebody elses problem. What bothers me is that I do have somewhere to park and people are blatantly disrespecting that.

Top Bottom