New Neighbours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Yes, I have new neighbours. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it as the house has been empty for a couple of years and before that it had a three students in it who played loud music at 2am. They didn't stay long probably because it's out in the sticks here and I'm really horrible to people violating my personal space at 2am.

The trouble I have is that a) it's attached to my house (corner terrace so they have a different road name to me) and :blush: they have no parking whatsoever. They have no off road parking, and no on road parking as their front door goes straight out into the road and it's only one car width (it's more of a little side road really) so no parking on their road.

All the houses in my road have off road parking opposite. Mine is the last house, so I have the end drive. There is space for one medium/large car or two small cars directly opposite my house, just down from my drive. Now I'm perfectly fine with other people parking there. What winds me up is when one car is already parked there and another person comes along and thinks it perfectly fine to park there and overlap my drive, or park in front of my drive as they won't be there "long" (their definition of not long is usually an hour or more). These new people have 2 estate cars. Yes 2 ESTATE CARS and they have just bought a house knowing that there is NO AVAILABLE PARKING.

I've just pounced on one of them for parking in front of my gate, which is another pet peeve of mine (it blocks access to my house - I get really irrate as I have to squeeze past and can't get my bike in and out of the house as you can't get it past the car. Fat people would similarly suffer from being unable to get past).

There are 2 of them, 2 lads I'd say late 20s or early 30s, "surfer dude" types. Hopefully they haven't got many friends or an inclination for loud music at 2am. I was quite nice when I accosted the one that parked in front of the gate. We had a chat, introduced ourselves and had a discussion on where people park around here. I really wanted to say "I don't give a sh*t so long as you don't block my drive or gate", but kindly pointed out various places that wouldn't also upset other neighbours (people get surprisingly territorial around here if you park in "their" space).

Just thought I'd have a whinge. I'm sure they'll be fine and I'm judging what they might act like based on all the previous neighbours I've had.

What do you think, should I just be nice to them? They are new after all and don't know any better. :blush:

Milo

Guru
Wrap a dog poo in newspaper and set fire to it on their doorstep dont forget to ring the bell.
No wait thats silly.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
miloat said:
Wrap a dog poo in newspaper and set fire to it on their doorstep dont forget to ring the bell.
No wait thats silly.

Ah, now that'll be easily achieved being as another peeve of mine is dogs pooing on my drive on a regular basis. So I have dog poo in plentiful supply :blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Plax said:
I've just pounced on one of them for parking in front of my gate, which is another pet peeve of mine (it blocks access to my house - I get really irrate as I have to squeeze past and can't get my bike in and out of the house as you can't get it past the car. Fat people would similarly suffer from being unable to get past).

I once stood in my front garden and watched a couple park on the path, leaving a 2 foot gap between them and the wall/gate. I overheard her say to her partner "That's a good parking spot" I couldn't resist replying that yes it was good if she wanted a big scratch down her car when I took my bike out in 10 mins time:evil:... she saw sense and moved it:biggrin:.

I must admit inconsiderate parking really annoys me ... and I have been known to ring the police when a car is parked totally blocking the pavement.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Drivers who want a house without any car parking are a bit dim methinks. They then think its OK to dump their car on the pavement/grass/junction/neighbour

Plax said:
Just thought I'd have a whinge. I'm sure they'll be fine ...

Why whinge then? Doesn't sound like they've done anything wrong.

What do you think, should I just be nice to them?

Yes, of course. At least until they do something wrong.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Make enemies of them and you could regret it for a long time. Best to stay on good terms; you shouldn't underestimate the importance of good neighbourly relations. Maybe if they're surfer dudes they'll be away surfing or whatever most weekends?

Some friends of mine lived in a small cottage, the only approach was through the yard of the neighbours who for some inexplicable reason had taken a dislike to my friends. Visting them was a huge trauma because you had to drive through 2 gates, shutting both after you, then turn your car around outside my friends' house, all the time worrying about what the neighbours would say. It runied my friend's enjoyment of what was otherwise an idyllic cottage. Their marriage broke up.

Danny

Legendary Member
I know how irritating parking issues can be, but if you are not careful you will just make enemies and make your own life a misery.

I suggest you pick a good time, and go round and try to have a friendly chat. You need to be direct but non-confrontational. Say that you appreciate that they have no parking outside their own home, but explain why the way they are parking now is making life difficult for you, and stress that you want to come up with a solution that everyone is happy with.

If they are reasonable people they will see your point of view and be happy to compromise.

domtyler

Über Member
Friendly relations only go so far Plax. I strongly advise you to lay down ground rules from the off set, or nip any problems in the bud to quote the famous cliché. The longer they are allowed to go on, the harder it will be to put an end to them.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Yeah, I probably do need to chill, but they have already got my goat up. This morning I woke to find my concerns have been well founded - They have overlapped my drive. It's easy enough to get out as I always reverse in, but it's a right bitch to get back in.

I'm just trying to be level headed about this, as people have already mentioned, I don't want to make enemies of them, so I'm going to plan my approach carefully. But having been plagued by inconsiderate parking over the years it has got to the point where any minor indiscretion pushes me over the edge. It's the only thing I find I get irrational about.

Okay I cycle a lot now so don't use the car as much, but why should I have to struggle getting in and out of my perfectly legal drive because other people find it more convienient for themselves to overlap it? Once in a while I can tolerate but if they actually live here then it's going to be a recurring problem.

Maybe I should tell the one with a saloon to get a smaller car. A hatchback would be much more practical, take up less space and they could both park there without overlapping my drive. I mean, who has ever managed to wedge a washing machine, a bike or a canoe in the back of a saloon?

llllllll

Just go around and ask them to move it everytime you need to get your car out. You may need to take your car out a bit more often and time some of your journeys to clash with their parking, but they'll soon get the message. If not the odd 3am trip to the supermaket would hammer the point home :rolleyes:

Top Bottom