New Overtaking Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I doubt if anyone would be influenced to change their driving behaviour after watching this shaky video, even if they could be bothered watching it right through to the end. I'm afraid it lacks the professional touch required,even the opening caption is poor, "the road suffers poor overtakes" really, the road suffers?
Towards the end of the film, the police car overtaking the cyclist ahead did not look good, but this was probably due to the distance from the camera.
Nowadays, educational videos have to be a cut above the 'home movies' standard if they are to be effective, sorry:sad:.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rule 163 isn't clear enough
I agree, but it is what it is and I think it's worth showing, although I prefer the "mind out" caption.

even the opening caption is poor, "the road suffers poor overtakes" really, the road suffers?
Any constructive criticism of the caption or elsewise? Recaptioning would be easy, as would recutting. How would you phrase it?

hatler

Guru
That's just as bad as rule 163. The rule should be quantifiable, and should mention a specific number of feet of clearance. Then, in the event of a dispute, video evidence could be used if available to determine how much clearance was actually given.

It should also be enforced. As usual, Australia is setting a bad example to the rest of the world, by enacting a close-passing law that does mention a specific distance, except the number of successful prosecutions based on this law has been almost nil, so it's just a big, useless farce.
You're right of course. Funny how a bit of reflection and time to review what you wrote reveals that indeed, my attempt was no better.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is the users who are suffering and not the road,
There's no point putting a caption up saying "Cyclists suffer poor overtakes..." because they're a hated outgroup. Whatever we may think of it, people feel more affinity for their streets than for other human beings cycling along them :crazy:

but I would engage a professional or experienced amateur film maker.
:rofl:

Top Bottom