New parts or a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
I'm not in any rush to do anything but I need to start thinking whether to spend a lot of money on a 20 year old bike that I love or start saving for a new bike. The only parts that aren't original are the tyres but everything else is worn out. The most urgent problem are the pedals because the right one feels loose like I'm wasting some of my energy on the down stroke. It's all been tightened and oiled etc, so it's not going to get any better.
The chain set would be the next thing to replace. Not sure abound the gears or anything else.
The back wheel has had a buckle attended to by theLBS , after I came off when I skidded on some wet grass trimmings on the path going too fast round a corner, but it's not perfect.
I know I won't be able to replace my ladies frame with racing style set up and proper mudguards.
But I love it and it feels like a part of me !!!! Husband, son and LBS all think it's had it.
See profile picture.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
well you wont get much £££ if you sell it - so why not keep a 'loved' bike

and just buy the new one anyway.............^_^

Garethgas

If you love the bike, then why not give it a major overhaul?
New cranks, bottom bracket, pedals, cassette, chain, brakes and cables and away you go.
The cost will vary a lot on the quality of the parts you use and whether you're able to do it yourself.
I reckon all the above could be done for under £100 if you DIY and keep a look out for online offers.
The deciding factor for me would be the condition of the frame.
Personally, I would put cheaper parts on it...but that's for another thread.

sidevalve

Über Member
What do you want - no really ? Then weigh up the real costs NEW v REPAIR. Check out E Bay prices for things like pedals/chain/wheels etc. If the frame is reasonable quality [never mind if it's "fashionable" or "top end" ] then to replace with anything better would cost at least £300 +. For that you could totaly rebuild the old one and have £200 left over. Still I agree with the above - keep the old girl and buy a new one anyway, it's just more fun.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A bike has never "had it" unless the frame has rusted through, snapped, or been otherwise damaged beyond repair. All other parts are replaceable.
It might not be the cheapest option though, as good quality used bikes can be had for much less than the price of buying a load of parts.
N+1 time by the sounds of things!

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
I'm going to start by replacing the pedals. Do you think my husband would be able to fit them? He's not sure about getting the old pedals off, something to do with cross threading?

RebornBumbler

The most important thing is to have a decent spanner of the right size - ideally a 'pedal spanner' :smile:

Then it's just a matter of unscrewing counterclockwise (normal) on the right/drive/sprocket side, and clockwise on the left side.
May well have to shock the spanner with a blow from a mallet to free it off too...

Top Bottom