New Paypal scam..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That makes it more secure of course but you have to set that don't you? I mean it's not by default?
I think most financial institutions require two step verification. My bank does for some but not all things. For example setting up a new payment is two step as are payments over a certain value and random authorisations.

The maximum I get is if I set up a new payment the process is laptop >mobile app >laptop and then if it's over £100 I get an instant text message. As an aside I get a text alert on all transactions, credit or debit, greater than £100.

My feeling is the security these days is such there's no reason to fall for a scam. Unexpected email or text? Step back, breathe, count to three then think.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Blue Hills I don't think you a Luddite but the way you phrased your post suggested to me you receive numerous updates which needed individual attention. I was trying to help with the auto-update comment.

I don't worry too much about security. I have all my passwords etc. in a password manager. The financial stuff is protected by randomly generated passwords. My bank requires two step verification on many things and I get text alerts on all transactions above £100 - the text usually arrives before I've got out of the shop!!!

I never my phone for any money transactions - I often don't know where it is for a few days so if I lost it a thief would have a couple of days while I wondered where I had left it - assuming that it was just somewhere in the house as usual.
Also - it hasn;t had any updates for a few years - and I can;t allow apps to update because every time they do they use up more 'disk' space. Every 6 months or so I have to reset it to factory setting for it to keep working!!!

hence all bank and similar are done via a browser - if a bank didn;t have 2FA then I would seriously wonder about using them!

Also - it hasn;t had any updates for a few years - and I can;t allow apps to update because every time they do they use up more 'disk' space. Every 6 months or so I have to reset it to factory setting for it to keep working!!!
:smile:
I think perhaps you have the same spec smartphone as me - I keep taking stuff off it - but very soon there will be nothing left to take off it and I suppose I will have to buy another one - I have already changed certain things to webpage shortcuts rather than apps to save space and endless pointless updates for apps that do very basic things.

I think the main two apps I am hanging on to are the wetherspoons app and the BBC weather app - so I know which way to pedal.

:smile:
I think perhaps you have the same spec smartphone as me - I keep taking stuff off it - but very soon there will be nothing left to take off it and I suppose I will have to buy another one - I have already changed certain things to webpage shortcuts rather than apps to save space and endless pointless updates for apps that do very basic things.

I think the main two apps I am hanging on to are the wetherspoons app and the BBC weather app - so I know which way to pedal.
And where to stop on the way!

Clearly you have your priorities sorted!

Top Bottom