New Paypal scam..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I'm normally quite good a catching phishing/ scam emails but must admit this had me going for a few seconds before I did my usual checks!.

Quite canny really, the hackers playing on your fear of having your account hacked..

markemark

Über Member
Blindingly obvious I’m afraid.
First line “Hello Customer”. I’d not have read further than that. No personalisation is a red flag.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Blindingly obvious I’m afraid.
First line “Hello Customer”. I’d not have read further than that. No personalisation is a red flag.

I use PayPal quite a lot so instinctively go straight to the payment details.

I'd say it was a good try to be fair, especially when I was busy with other things.

Why they still allow email sender spoofing is beyond me though.

Best one I've seen yet, they're upping their game.

markemark

Über Member
I use PayPal quite a lot so instinctively go straight to the payment details.

I'd say it was a good try to be fair, especially when I was busy with other things.

Why they still allow email sender spoofing is beyond me though.

Best one I've seen yet, they're upping their game.
Also never ever access any banking or purchasing from a link in an email. A simple policy of only accessing PayPal or banking via an official app is the way to go. This is a strong method of avoiding phishing. A simple policy of only accessing through a trusted method will filter out many a ‘convincing’ communication.

Also never ever access any banking or purchasing from a link in an email. A simple policy of only accessing PayPal or banking via an official app is the way to go. This is a strong method of avoiding phishing. A simple policy of only accessing through a trusted method will filter out many a ‘convincing’ communication.
i avoid apps whenever possible but i agree with your general point - I search my saved bookmarks for things i use regularly and log in via there.

markemark

Über Member
i avoid apps whenever possible but i agree with your general point - I search my saved bookmarks for things i use regularly and log in via there.
Apps are often safer than a pc browser. They usually have good 2 step authentication to setup the app and then your phone security is usually safer than your pc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ve really got to be alert haven’t you but you can tell this is a fake due to the poor English used ….“please click the button for cancel your order” .
The rest of it looks very official and convincing.

Apps are often safer than a pc browser. They usually have good 2 step authentication to setup the app and then your phone security is usually safer than your pc.
I don't like the idea that apps are exchanging data they don't really need to perform a simple function.
I don't use a PC - Chromebook for most important transactions.
Pretty confident that is safer than the average PC. And it gets very frequent trouble-free system updates.
Suits me better than endless endless individual apps forever updating themselves.
I have the idea that most phones don't get updated very often at all and that many in use won't be getting any more updates - had their last ever one ages ago.
(yep I know google gets lots of info about me)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't like the idea that apps are exchanging data they don't really need to perform a simple function.
I don't use a PC - Chromebook for most important transactions.
Pretty confident that is safer than the average PC. And it gets very frequent trouble-free system updates.
Suits me better than endless endless individual apps forever updating themselves.
I have the idea that most phones don't get updated very often at all and that many in use won't be getting any more updates - had their last ever one ages ago.
(yep I know google gets lots of info about me)
I don't feel it's as much hassle as you seem to suggest. My experience is all the devices I use have an auto-update function which I keep switched on so I never have to manually update anything. The one exception being my Wahoo which always asks first.😂

Out of interest I checked before commenting and my phone reports all apps and software up to date......even the time. 😉

You right about some phones as they reach the end of their "support life" and no further updates are available.

As for scams it's really only a case of paying attention but I realise there are people who get taken in.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
My Samsung S20 has had probably 6 or 7 updates this year so far, as said the Apps are normally at least 2 step authentication.

I don't feel it's as much hassle as you seem to suggest. My experience is all the devices I use have an auto-update function
I never have auto-update switched on - I think it only polite to ask :smile: And I like to see what my devices are up to.
That way I avoid nagging worries about odd performance drops - if it's updating (with my permission) I know what the issue is.
I just get a flag when some app wants to update/is craving a bit of attention.
Anything that seems to need too frequent updates may well be in line for the chop - can always reinstall if I have a sudden craving for it.
The basic operating system on one of my android tabs hasn't updated in years - would never use for anything sensitive.
Just bought another android tab - I don't think that will update again.
My smartphone is somewhat ancient and must be as secure as a piece of cheese.
The security on my chromebook I trust - it's way cheaper than many smartphones and for me often just as portable.
I minimise use of apps.
We are already in 1984.

In case you think me a luddite Paul I was a very early adopter of much tech - and was ahead of a tech journalist I knew in mobile comms/mobile messaging. An ex client of mine in the tech business thought I was already well over 100 miles away from my meeting with them, back in my home office, as I'd replied to an email. I was actually sat on a train firing stuff back from a windows laptop over a mobile infrared (remember that?!) link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom