New pedal help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Royalrider

Hi All,
I have just taken the plunge and ordered a set of clipless pedals. Went for the Shimano PD M520. I bought these from an internet store and when they arrived they had a plastic 'flat plate' already attached to the pedal. It was advertised that this would be part of the deal to use as flats if required.
The problem is I simply cannot get it off!! I have unscrewed the tensioning bolt to its slackest but the flat will not move.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Do I have to be brutal with it? The instruction sheet which came with the pedals makes no mention of it.
Thanks in advance

bonj2

post a picture of it.
If they are genuine 520s then they should be double sided, so the only thing I can think this could be is something in place of a cleat, so it would seem that it needs to be twisted to come out, like a cleat does.

OP
OP
R

Royalrider

Thanks for the quick response. Yes they are double sided. The plate I am describing is fixed where the cleat would go, if I could get it off. The part number of the thing I am describing is SM PO22. Sorry can't post a picture

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have the M520's and for the life of my I don't understand what you are describing. Straight out of the box, on to the bike and away I went.

Are these the pedals you have?
shimano_pd_m520_blk_04_m.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On further investigation. The part number is SM-PD22
This
gd-asset_2056512.jpg

Looks like it attaches to the pedal like a cleat, so i imagine that you have to twist to release.

Iceniner

When i got my shimano pedals the springs, even on the lowest tension were really stiff, they needed plenty of lube and lots of jimmying around to get them loose. Maybe thats happened with yours? Just a suggestion.

Wouldnt the excess weight of this pedal/reflector bit mean that it hangs on the underside of the pedal most of the time making it a pain to get your foot on it?

Iceniner

Just been out to one of my LBS and they have all these really excellent £1000-£2000 mountain bikes there looking the dogs, the vast majority with clipless pedals already installed and then these platform things attached, looks really funny. Is it because of the law which requires all new bikes to be sold with front, rear, wheel and pedal(?) reflectors or something? I changed my pedals to clipless but i dont have reflectors on them anymore.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
IMO these are useless as flat pedals. The platform isn't big or firm enough. What they are good for is night riding, as the plastic bit has reflectors on.

I have used them for years, without problems, although now that the plastic bit is getting worn, they can be a wee bit slippy in the wet...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Royalrider said:
Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Do I have to be brutal with it? The instruction sheet which came with the pedals makes no mention of it.
Thanks in advance

I had a right job getting the platform off mine too. Try fitting the pedals to the bike & then removing the platform, it was a bit easier ;)
If that fails use a screwdriver to prise open the pedal & release the platform.

bonj2

Aaah, it's one of THOSE crap things, no surprise you want to get it off.
Wtih a mole wrench, tTry to snap off the end arms with reflectors on so that it gives way at the points marked in red:

pedal.jpg

Then you should be able to twist if off, as it looks like it's the outer rectangular shape of it that's preventing it from twisting the middle bit (which is essentially just a plastic cleat) out.

bonj2

but as landslide says any brute force method will likely to work as it will snap the plastic well before the metal of the pedal suffers any stress.

bonj2

In a word, yes.

That's also one reason why a lot of the better bikes aren't sold with pedals.

The other reason is that pedals are largelya matter of personal choice.

But if it's sold without pedals, then by definition it is being sold without pedal reflectors - so how's that complying with the law? Or does the law say IF it has pedals they must have reflectors...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You've answered your own question Bonj ;)

If its sold with pedals, its a roadgoing vehicle and as such needs reflectors.
without pedals, its just a pile of parts, that ain't a roadgoing vehicle

Top Bottom