New pedals must take toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

Need a new pair of pedals. I only use toe clips with straps. Normally any old crap will do but I have just paid £1270 for bike so think I will spend a bit. As my other bikes have toe clips I am not prepared to change. Thanks

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used pedals with toe clips for about 15-20 years and had no indention of changing.. but then i was quite taken by a pair of bright orange pedals that'd match my bike... but fitting my toe-clips too them would be tricky.. but not impossible. I bought the pedals with a view to fettling the toe-clips on at some point, but quickly realised that toe-clips were not the essential but of kit I thought they were... in fact why i spent so many years faffing about getting my foot in them I really don't know. I am now toe-clip free and am not prepared to change. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

brand

I used pedals with toe clips for about 15-20 years and had no indention of changing.. but then i was quite taken by a pair of bright orange pedals that'd match my bike... but fitting my toe-clips too them would be tricky.. but not impossible. I bought the pedals with a view to fettling the toe-clips on at some point, but quickly realised that toe-clips were not the essential but of kit I thought they were... in fact why i spent so many years faffing about getting my foot in them I really don't know. I am now toe-clip free and am not prepared to change. :thumbsup:
What do you use those clipless pedals? When I use nothing it just doesn't feel efficient. And I have never had a problem getting my toes in even after a session in the pub?

MacMarc

Clipless pedals can be difficult. I first used mountain bike clipless pedals as they are much easier to get in and out. I have used a sports road pedal, but the best I have found are speedplay, they have the most float and are used by a lot of the top pros now. Mind you there a little pricey.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got mks sylvan touring on one of my bikes with toe clips. They work perfectly.

I'm happy with spd on other bikes and spd sl on the other, if you want toe clips fit them. I like them because I can wear any shoe type.

They use loose bearings for easy servicing, just unscrew the end cap and add grease, remove it and add grease, continue until it pops out of the other end. They're nice and shiny too.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What do you use those clipless pedals? When I use nothing it just doesn't feel efficient. And I have never had a problem getting my toes in even after a session in the pub?
no just flat pedals. Never had a problem getting my feet in and out either... but upon going back to platforms i realised that no faff is better than a bit of a faff... and that whole 'pulling up on the back foot' is a bit of myth apparently.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You didn't say what sort of bike, but MKS make a good range. Token also make some which I think would look good on road bikes.

OP
OP
B

brand

Bought these cheap as chips toe clips and pedals.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Wanted powergrips but couldn't believe the cost in UK including pedals about £68 + £13 postage??
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Grips-Bicycling-Cycling-Bicycle/dp/B00DVHGHD8/ref=sr_1_sc_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400868284&sr=8-4-spell&keywords=powergrip pedals
So I bought them from Amazon in US for £24.71

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006446ZDW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
Having them posted to my brother in California. He will bring them over in June or July.
Can't understand why they are so expensive here? Didn't actually find a UK supplier other than horrible Amazon who sold them in pedal and strap combination. The other internet shops sold straps on there own.

Last edited:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Having them posted to my brother in California. He will bring them over in June or July.

Can't understand why they are so expensive here? Didn't actually find a UK supplier other than horrible Amazon who sold them in pedal and strap combination. The other internet shops sold straps on there own.

I must say I don't understand why you must get the powergrips including pedals in those ads - they are Wellgo LU-898 pedals, which are 20 year old Taiwanese design, cheap even then, heavy, obsolete... You would have been better off getting yourself a set of mks as others have suggested, and get whatever bindings/straps/clips or powergrips you'd fancy.

Top Bottom