New pedals - Shimano SPD's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Just invested in a set of pedals, Shimano SPD's from my ever helpful LBS.

Might go out for my first 'proper ride today :ohmy:

I'm considering a ride today, no spd's though.

What did you have to get to convert? Might seem silly but I'm bewildered.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

To convert?

New to this cycle malarky myself......just unbolted the old set, and bolted the new set. Easy.

No funny shoes yet though, Maybe next month.

Watch out when going onto SPD's shoes, well worth spending ten minutes or so leant up against a wall or something learning the technique of unclipping them. Otherwise you'll get coaught at traffic lights and not be able to get your foot down, and if the foot isn't down the rest will just fall. (Or in my case you forget which foot you unclipped and fall over anyway!)

O

OP
OP
B

Black knight

I did ask in the shop and they said I could get pretty much any shoe.

Got these.

Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedal

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+PD+PD-A530_600x450_v1_m56577569830637299_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

Black knight said:
I did ask in the shop and they said I could get pretty much any shoe.

Got these.

Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedal
You'll not get the advantage of clipless at the moment but the shop advised you right you can pretty much use any shoe :thumbsup: SPD shoes can come at a later time when you feel ready.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Why do you say I'll not get the advantage at this time?

I'm on a fixed gear but using freewheel most of the time. Should I be using the fixed side if I'm going to clip up?

I think what Hlab meant was that you won't get the benefits of clipless pedals if you use them with normal shoes - they will just be like standard pedals then. The whole point is that it's more efficient to be clipped into the pedals. Also, it will stop you from slipping off them, which is great anyway, but I believe even more important when riding fixed.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Ahh I see, yes I realised that, thanks.

Previous pedals were 'orrible, these are so much nicer, even not clipped. Will be nice to try some proper shoes out.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have the same pedals its handy occasionally to be able to ride flat side up in normal shoes . Wiggle dhb SPD shoes are good value for money. I have a pair of dhb road shoes that are very comfortable and secure on the foot with 3 velcro straps.

Only thing with road shoes is you cant really pedal unless clipped in as the hard sole slides off the pedal.

I also have a pair of Lidls mountainbike type SPD shoes,these are a bit heavy but you can ride unclipped if you want as they have soft rubber soles,also easier to walk in than the road shoes.

Practice away from traffic uintil you get used to clipping in and out.Good Luck

gingergav

being a SPuDder

I've used spd's for years - would never go back. I bought basic shimano pedals for £30 from local bike shop, and some spd shoes online from wiggle in their sale for £30 ish about 12 months ago. MTB shoes are comfier than pure road shoes! Take a little time to set up the cleat position on your shoes (all you need is an allen key) then you're off! Wind the spring tension on the pedals down to minimum at first so you can pop your feet out when you need to (this requires a firmish outward twist of your heel to pop out). Take it easy at first, pop them out plenty in advance of any traffic lights (!) and enjoy the improved power delivery! Tighten the release spring as you get more used to them.:tongue:

Top Bottom