New Product, your views.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Arch said:
Are you very, very tiny bonj? Because the Cyclaire is six inches long, and I think that would fit in most panniers and many saddle bags, and the bag it comes in will fit to a frame anyway. So I fail to see how you couldn't carry it on a ride. Unless you are, yourself, only six inches tall with a bike to match.

Have a look here if you're still confused.

http://www.cyclaire.com/carry.html

ah, yes - I see, it is smaller than I thought. They must just have been close up pictures of it before. But still, you do need a saddle bag or pannier to carry it. My saddle bag is already full with multitool, spare tube and tybe levers. But my normal pump is long and thin - it clips to the frame quite nicely.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
ah, yes - I see, it is smaller than I thought. They must just have been close up pictures of it before. But still, you do need a saddle bag or pannier to carry it. My saddle bag is already full with multitool, spare tube and tybe levers. But my normal pump is long and thin - it clips to the frame quite nicely.

And the Cyclaire fits to the frame too, in its bag...

But I think portability isn't the point. The point, from what I've heard, is that for some people, who have less strength in their arms and upper body, the Cyclaire makes it easier to get to high pressures.

Is much strength required? The hand pumps only get you up to about 60 psi which doesn't require much effort. I use a track pump to get up to 100 psi and I simply bend my knees and let my body weight do the work. I charge a pneumatic air rifle up to 200 bar with the same technique.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Is much strength required? The hand pumps only get you up to about 60 psi which doesn't require much effort. I use a track pump to get up to 100 psi and I simply bend my knees and let my body weight do the work. I charge a pneumatic air rifle up to 200 bar with the same technique.

Yes Patrick, but it's been established elsewhere that you are a macho man who does weights. Some of us don't have that same strength.

If a handpump only gets you up to 60 easily, but you need 80 ideally, what do you if your track pump is at home and you are on the road, having had a puncture? I can get up to whatever pressure I need on a trackpump - although by the end I have to pretty much take my feet off the ground and sink down on the plunger...

Actually, I use a roadmorph, which is a semi trackpump (Looks normal, but has a foot peg for you to stand on and you brace it against the ground), and that lets me get up to decent pressures.

Arch said:
Yes Patrick, but it's been established elsewhere that you are a macho man who does weights. Some of us don't have that same strength.

If a handpump only gets you up to 60 easily, but you need 80 ideally, what do you if your track pump is at home and you are on the road, having had a puncture? I can get up to whatever pressure I need on a trackpump - although by the end I have to pretty much take my feet off the ground and sink down on the plunger...

Actually, I use a roadmorph, which is a semi trackpump (Looks normal, but has a foot peg for you to stand on and you brace it against the ground), and that lets me get up to decent pressures.

I've got a diddy little minipump that I keep in a little bag under my saddle. There's no room for anything bigger.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Arch said:

I have both the cyclaire and roadmorph - I slightly prefer the latter as it's less bulky, lighter, guage on mine seems accurate, and it's a doddle to get my tyres up to 110 psi using it (even though I'm no man mountain a la Patrick).

The cyclaire is pretty neat, and the little pouch on its case can make it a quite nice self contained unplanned deflation event kit (if you only carry pump, levers & patches/glue). Biggest problems I had with it were the vibration as it pumps the tyre up (made my hands feel a bit odd) and the shortish cord (I have to bend over to use it, which made my back ache). The cyclaire will probably end up living on my hybrid bike, I think.

bonj2

Arch said:
If a handpump only gets you up to 60 easily, but you need 80 ideally, what do you if your track pump is at home and you are on the road, having had a puncture?
Well you don't NEED 80, do you - you're going to be able to get home perfectly well on 60psi! Damnit, you can get home on 30...it's not ideal, but it's enough.
Imagine that - "Hi, is that rescue? Yeah, I've had a puncture and I've fixed it but I can only pump my tyre up to 60psi so I won't be able to ride my bike and you'll have to come and pick me up."

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Well you don't NEED 80, do you - you're going to be able to get home perfectly well on 60psi! Damnit, you can get home on 30...it's not ideal, but it's enough.
Imagine that - "Hi, is that rescue? Yeah, I've had a puncture and I've fixed it but I can only pump my tyre up to 60psi so I won't be able to ride my bike and you'll have to come and pick me up."

No, OK, 60 is 'enough' to get you home. Suppose you're on tour though, and won't be back home to where your track pump is for days, maybe weeks, and you want to keep your tyres inflated to their best efficiency.

Or suppose you don't actually own a track pump?

Actually while I remember...a chap in a bike shop in Canada gave me a little widget when I was trying to get my road bike tyres pumped up to 100psi without the aid of a track pump (I got them to about 80 and then went to his shop for help). You can get these little attachments which go on the end of air hoses in garages. It's a tiny metal thing but enables you to get good pressure in your tyres so you can continue without the worry of pinch flatting. I've never seen them here though.

bonj2

Arch said:
No, OK, 60 is 'enough' to get you home. Suppose you're on tour though, and won't be back home to where your track pump is for days, maybe weeks, and you want to keep your tyres inflated to their best efficiency.

Or suppose you don't actually own a track pump?

yeah, 'spose. I incidentally am one of those people who don't have a trackpump, I assume my tyres are somewhere in the 60 - 80 region. I wouldn't have thought going from 60 to 80 made much difference to your speed though, does it?

Dormouse

I have one, it fits in a saddle pack with spare tube and tool kit and it works! I got upto 100psi without any sweat or tears mending a flat tyre last week. Vibration doesn't bother me much because I have it under my foot when in use. It is better than fighting with those mini pumps that attach directly to the valve. I have a Mountain Morphe too, it's good but too long to fit in my saddle pack but it goes in my bumbag when MTBing.

Zoiders: I agree that C plus's best buys/products of the year etc often seem pretty ordinary or poor when I am daft enough to buy them but at least the Cyclaire pump does its job. I also wonder about their impartiality and whether they actually do many longer term tests rather than just for a week or two.

Top Bottom