New Project - the spare bits bike -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All done ,had a quick test ride and it all works,I just need to tweak the bike fit

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Need to get some more stem spacers as I only had a couple of big ones so i can fine tune the bar height now and bunged some old mudguards on for now

IMG_20240220_161610.jpg

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Plan to use it for the commute tomorrow as the usual bike the shifting has gone to pot , i replaced the inner recently but i think i need to do a full inner/outer cable.It shifts to an easier gear ok but doesnt like to shift the other way .
I do know i need to swap to a longer stem as the one above is 10 mm to short for my usual fit .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Bit of an issue
bearings on headset has play even when the top is tight to the point of being overkill, im a bit stumped and i can only assume that something is missing or not compatbile in the bits i had so it might be a trip to the lbs.I can usually work it out but on top of all the other stuff i have going on my patience for mucking about is low.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bit of an issue
bearings on headset has play even when the top is tight to the point of being overkill, im a bit stumped and i can only assume that something is missing or not compatbile in the bits i had so it might be a trip to the lbs.I can usually work it out but on top of all the other stuff i have going on my patience for mucking about is low.
I had that on my first attempt at getting a singlespeed bike on the road. I had a very low budget and foolishly bought a cheapo unknown brand headset. I gave up on it in the end and spent several times as much on a Ritchey headset which has been trouble free.

The original was so bad that I could press it in with gentle hand pressure, so it was clearly slightly undersized!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I had that on my first attempt at getting a singlespeed bike on the road. I had a very low budget and foolishly bought a cheapo unknown brand headset. I gave up on it in the end and spent several times as much on a Ritchey headset which has been trouble free.

The original was so bad that I could press it in with gentle hand pressure, so it was clearly slightly undersized!

I'm not complaining,it will be a good bike when sorted.
Mrs CK says I ought to sell my bikes and get a new one but she's in the bso pricing camp when it comes to how much she thinks things are

TK421

Casual Extremist
If your top bearing is compressed tight with the compression ring and your bottom bearing has lateral movement it could be that the crown ring needs replacing.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If your top bearing is compressed tight with the compression ring and your bottom bearing has lateral movement it could be that the crown ring needs replacing.

i did notice a couple of the bearings in the cages were missing too( may have fell out in transit ) , probably needs a complete new headset./crown race

Top Bottom