New project to start bigger lol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billym0404

so ive just bought another recumbent, needs a bit of work but a good price. looks like an older KMX. so perfect for a new project.

Saturday i was given the heaviest mobility scooter frame you've ever seen. but it had independent front suspensio9n and a sing rear suspension. so all those bits have now been cut off. s9o my new project is going to get chopped and get front and rear suspension fitted. ive already worked out how i,m doing it. happy days

fixedfixer

Veteran
This thread will need lots of photos :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

billym0404

i will when started, though it was soposed to be delivered tomorrow, now he recons he didnt get my conformation message so it mat be Thursday now. not that fussed as if im let down im going to do my cobra or trice.

Beware of adverse yaw on cornering , a problem with front suspension tadpoles

regards emma
Adverse yaw can affect all trikes and the higher and/or more off center the trikes CoG is then the greater the effect.
If you lean to the left with your hand off the bars then the trike wants to turn right and visa versa.
I'm ok up to about 10 mph "hand off" on my bent trike, above that speed I tend not to be able to lean enough to straighten my trike up.
It's also why upright trikes can be "fun" to ride.
You get on a bit of a camber and lean a bit to stay sitting vertically and the trike will naturally want to turn downhill into the ditch ...... ^_^

OP
OP
B

billym0404

i do plan to make the supesion quite stiff. i have made a plan not to scale, picture added. the one thing i will do is move the wheel are things forward as the steerings right in the middle of them. dont laugh at my pic

Attachments

• TRIKE.jpg
    TRIKE.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
B

billym0404

lol, so i'm guessing Emma looking at my pictures you don't think it will work very well. not 100% what an arb is?

OP
OP
B

billym0404

no, definitely not an engineer. good at problem solving and sussing things out. but no formal qualifications. self taught lol

OP
OP
B

billym0404

we will find out if its any good lol. though i have been assessing today, and intend to do it by spending very little apart from the trike cost itself. also i want to make it in such a way that if it turns out to handle poorly then i can turn it back to the way it was without to much bother. i am planing front and rear suspension also hydroponic brakes (witch ive been given) ive also done some measuring and all the suspension bits, should with some planing and adaption be made to fit. fingers crossed. i'm expecting the trike tomorrow so will add some pic of it and the bits i have before i start.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

so as i got my days mixed and the trikes not coming till tomorrow decided to start the bits i could. picture 1 is the front end of the mobility scooter i caged. cost nothing lol.
picture 2 after stripping and cutting the bits i'm keeping to use.
picture 3 most of the bits cut it apox size and drilled. it may look a mish mash, but i need to make 4 more of the circled bits and i have all the bits i need, just need cleaning trimming and welding. i will have to make a couple of plates and order some bolts and spacers. but its a start

Attachments

• P9080123.JPG
    P9080123.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 55
  • P9090124.JPG
    P9090124.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 60
  • P9090125.JPG
    P9090125.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
B

billym0404

so the trike has arrived and work has begun. pictures added. ive started the strut, though it needs tiding up, none gas welders a bit scruffy. also had to order some steel box as i will need to add a piece into the frame.

Attachments

• P9090126.JPG
    P9090126.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P9090127.JPG
    P9090127.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 60
  • P9100128.JPG
    P9100128.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 68
  • P9100130.JPG
    P9100130.JPG